Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mapping an area then storing it for later use? — Parallax Forums

Mapping an area then storing it for later use?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2012-12-04 09:32 in Robotics
Is it common to get a robot wandering and then use a bunch of sensors, sonar, bumper ir, etc to create some kind of cad like map of the area it travels in then store it to memmory, sd/eeprom/flash chip whatever? I think this could be a really cool way to save power so when your robot is just roaming around a known area it can shut down all of its sensors and pan/tilts etc then just focus on whatever the task at hand may be. Im wondering if this is something common and I just dont know the name name for it. I just ordered a compass last night, I think along with an array of object detection and distance sensors this would be pretty feasible its just coming up with a file format and algorithm to do the mapping, dont want to reinvent the wheel if this is a common place feature and im just not sure what its actually called.

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-11-30 15:30
    I would think there would be a way to do this with GPS since they can display a map and recall locations.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-30 15:45
    Is it common to get a robot wandering and then use a bunch of sensors, sonar, bumper ir, etc to create some kind of cad like map of the area it travels in then store it to memmory, sd/eeprom/flash chip whatever?

This has been done a bunch of different ways but it's not simple.

Here's a thread where it was discussed a bit.

This isn't really mapping, but I did record the path my robot took so it could replay it here with my PropBOE-Bot (I was copying something erco had done with the BS2).

Having a robot make and use a map is one of my robotic goals.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2012-12-01 12:49
    Even if you have a good map, you still need sensors to see if the environment has changed. Someone may have moved a chair, etc. Sensing the environment is also good for updating/corrcting location data.

John Abshier
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-12-03 09:30
    It's certainly a lofty goal but there is a reason that many robots are bumping around or following walls, etc. The job is actually quite complex. What are the objects you sense? How are you orientated to them. Have they moved? What if they are moving right now? Is that an opening or did the sonar just bounce away down a hall way? It's certainly a awesome goal but keeping position and orientation is no trivial task and odometry is often unreliable over the long term.

I like beacon nav. The beacons can be used to get the robot to the desired area and on the way all the normal avoidance routines can deal with the mess of real life even minus a map. Mapping could then be used to enhance the avoidance and the beacons then give a solid reference for orientation and if you can see multiple beacons you can even triangulate for position.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-12-03 18:13
    Is it common to get a robot wandering and then use a bunch of sensors, sonar, bumper ir, etc to create some kind of cad like map of the area it travels in then store it to memmory, sd/eeprom/flash chip whatever? I think this could be a really cool way to save power so when your robot is just roaming around a known area it can shut down all of its sensors and pan/tilts etc then just focus on whatever the task at hand may be. Im wondering if this is something common and I just dont know the name name for it. I just ordered a compass last night, I think along with an array of object detection and distance sensors this would be pretty feasible its just coming up with a file format and algorithm to do the mapping, dont want to reinvent the wheel if this is a common place feature and im just not sure what its actually called.

This was done in the Micro Mouse Races in the mid/late 70's. The objective was to have the mouse travel through a maze to the exit as quickly as possible. Initially the mapping consisted of 1 bit per square area of the maze (like a pixel on a screen) with a 1 representing a clear area. Simple to program and worked well when there was an initial learning run or multiple timed runs, but as speed increased wheel slip made it less useful.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-12-03 21:18
    kwinn wrote: »
    This was done in the Micro Mouse Races in the mid/late 70's. The objective was to have the mouse travel through a maze to the exit as quickly as possible.

Still doing it in this millennium!
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-03 22:29
    So what is a "pixel" on the mouse maze? I want to make sure when I rearrange my furniture, I'm using the correct spacing.

"Honey, I'm removing three inches from the sofa so our robot doesn't get lost."
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-12-04 08:56
    @W9GFO

Thanks for posting that. I didn't think maze races were still around. All I have seen lately were line follower contests.

@Duane

Back when I was involved memories were pretty small and expensive so the "pixels" were a square with dimensions equal to the width of the maze passages. With what's available now you could probably map your entire house at 1 inch or better resolution so there is no need to modify the furniture ;-)
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2012-12-04 09:32
    That is a really good question and one that deserves your attention. A few years back, a fellow asked if there was a way to help his disabled wife wheelchair her way through the house. He didn't get all the help he needed.
    I work with kids who have cerebral palsy... many of them struggle to control their wheelchairs and as a consequence they can't go anywhere by themselves. The prices people pay for new wheelchairs that don't do anything more than move ... is obscene. On the other hand... there are more wheelchairs than there are people that need them... and most of those aren't worth spit to the people that really need them. My front room is now full of $100 electric wheelchairs that I bought on EBay:)

What does this have to do with mapping? If you want a fully autonomous wheelchair with occasional human input... you need mapping and a bunch of sensors. And really good control of the wheels.