Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LED Strings using BOE with BS2 — Parallax Forums

LED Strings using BOE with BS2

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2012-12-03 13:58 in BASIC Stamp
I have a couple strands of 12V LED lights that I would like to run from my BOE and BS2 stamp. What is the easiest way to do this? I have external power for the LED's and I just need to know how I would connect them to the BOE board and what all is required.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-28 19:31
    Do you want the BS2 to be able to turn them on and off? If so, I'm betting a relay would do the job.

There's information about using a relay and high power transistors in this N&V article.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-11-28 19:51
    That plus make them blink at different intervals. I think the N&V article is a good start. Is there anyone that has done this before that could maybe show me an example? I just want to make sure my BOE board and or Stamp do not get toasted in the process.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-11-29 08:12
    Just make sure you have a current limiting resistor in the path and a diode across the coil if you use a relay. Depending on the total current draw you could use a MOSFET or one of these http://www.parallax.com/Store/Components/Transistors/tabid/155/List/0/CategoryID/55/Level/a/SortField/0/Default.aspx
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-12-03 13:58
    Usually those strings can be split into groups of three by breaking the tracks so you could get a chase going along the string if you wire to each group this could help with keeping power requirements lower