Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Abz encoder — Parallax Forums

Abz encoder

alumbrinalumbrin Posts: 3
edited 2012-11-29 18:23 in BASIC Stamp
Hi

I´m making a project to measure distance using an ABZ encoder (incremental) and I have checked the wiring diagram publicated on the web page for the easy encoder, but this sensor has 2 lines for power, A, B, Z lines for signal, so the connection is different and I have a lot of doubts how to connect this in my BS2.
I don´t want to damage the sensor.

Could you help me??

Thanks,

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-11-23 06:49
    You'll have to provide more information. At the very least, a link to the datasheet for your encoder or a specification of the connector and signals / power to / from the encoder.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2012-11-23 10:18
    Mike is right that the device's datasheet is the best source of information.

However, in general terms, the unit will need power: (usually red and black wire or brown(+) and blue(-). Many are OK from 5 - 30 VDC, but there are also quite a few that are 5 volt only.

The signals A and B are the quadrature pulse outputs and the ones you'll use. Z is often a "once per revolution" pulse sometimes used for homing or calibration.
  • alumbrinalumbrin Posts: 3
    edited 2012-11-25 17:23
    stamptrol wrote: »
    Mike is right that the device's datasheet is the best source of information.

However, in general terms, the unit will need power: (usually red and black wire or brown(+) and blue(-). Many are OK from 5 - 30 VDC, but there are also quite a few that are 5 volt only.

The signals A and B are the quadrature pulse outputs and the ones you'll use. Z is often a "once per revolution" pulse sometimes used for homing or calibration.

In my case, black and white are for power supply....0V and 24V respectively; Red, Green, Yellow ....are for signals A, B and Z respectively.
    I have checked the wiring diagram for the incremental rotary encoder that is published in parallax web page, but I can not connect like that because it has only three terminals A,B and C.
    So my question is how to connect the encoder.

Thank you very much guys for your replies and help.
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2012-11-26 05:57
    Ok, the signals will be from A to 0v and B to 0v. They will be 24 volt pulses so you'll have to reduce them to 5v with a voltage divider or a transistor.

Cheers,
  • alumbrinalumbrin Posts: 3
    edited 2012-11-29 18:23
    stamptrol wrote: »
    Ok, the signals will be from A to 0v and B to 0v. They will be 24 volt pulses so you'll have to reduce them to 5v with a voltage divider or a transistor.

Cheers,

Thank you very muc for your help!! I will do it!!