Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Optical flow sensor for odometry and altitude hold — Parallax Forums

Optical flow sensor for odometry and altitude hold

Cats92Cats92 Posts: 149
edited 2012-11-18 15:12 in Accessories
Did you see this board from dihydrones.
They used it on drones for X,Y position hold.
Then the measures are combined with other sensors.

May be useful for bots odometry ? If i remenber well it has been used .

http://store.diydrones.com/Optical_Flow_Sensor_p/br-0016-01.htm

Jean Paul

Comments

• rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-11-18 12:08
    This is pretty cool, but im not sure im understanding exactly what it does. Basically what im getting is theve extended the range of an optical flow sensor so you can do x,y tracking from hi up off the ground?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-18 12:51
    I agree, very cool.

I was planning on trying this with a mouse sensor kit but I was very unsure about what kind of lens I'd need. This makes using the sensor much easier.

@rwgast, yes, they using a different lens so the mouse sensor can work at a greater distance than normal.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-11-18 14:44
    awesome i have a mouse for this too and was unsure about how to add range, i was told a lens wouldnt work. i can see this under my bot with a few white leds mounted around it, maybe ill use some polymorph to build somethin nice :).

i think the best thing is if u center this under a 3 wheel bot it can track distance just like a wheel encoder but if you do perfect 180 turns you wont be adding values to your distance calculation like you would with wheel encoders, but i guesswith a wheel encoder you could stop counting pulses in a turn...

so whats a unique use for this if your using encoders
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-18 15:02
    I'm not sure if the lens would be able to focus on things that are close. It probably could but I think this was made to be used with aircraft.

I've also read that using a mouse for odometry isn't as accurate as encoders but I I'm not sure if this if correct or not.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-11-18 15:12
    i think the best thing is if u center this under a 3 wheel bot it can track distance just like a wheel encoder but if you do perfect 180 turns you wont be adding values to your distance calculation like you would with wheel encoders, but i guesswith a wheel encoder you could stop counting pulses in a turn...

If you calculate the distance travelled by averaging the encoders then a 180 turn (pivot) will add no distance.