Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New BOE-Bot — Parallax Forums

New BOE-Bot

MugsMugs Posts: 13
edited 2012-11-20 17:24 in BASIC Stamp
Well, my grandson and I did it. We purchased a BOE-Bot kit. So far so good, we are working very slowly through the lessong and Dylan, my grandson seems to be getting it.

Question - is there a way to download a new program to the bot without it running right away? The problem is we write a program and download it to the bot and it takes off. It's still attached to the computer and on a table. We've almost had it take off before we could catch it.

Looks like I may have rushed it, we purchased it locally and then I realized I could have, for the same price, got one with the Basic Stamp Activity Kit included. Should I return what I got and order this one, if I can?

Thanks

Brad

Comments

• Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-11-14 19:53
    Glad to hear it.

The power switch has three position: off, stamp on, and stamp with servo header power. So put the switch in the middle position and it won't run away when the program loads.
  • MugsMugs Posts: 13
    edited 2012-11-14 20:48
    doesn't it start as soon as it goes to 2 or does it actually run through the program and waiting for a reset in 2?

Thanks
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-11-14 20:58
    Neither. The program starts after it's downloaded and whenever you push the reset button (the download does a reset when it's completed). You also get a reset when you turn power on (from position 0 to position 1). In position 1, the motors are turned off, but other things work. The program may be trying to move the motors, but there's no power to them in position 1, so they don't move.

You can get a packet with the extra parts for the Stamp Activity Kit (this or this). The text is downloadable for free if you don't want the paper version.
  • MugsMugs Posts: 13
    edited 2012-11-20 17:24
    Mike, Thanks for the info. We've done a lot of programming and now have a program (with fresh batteries) where our little bot does a counter clockwise box to it's starting point does a 180 degree turn and does a clockwise box back to the begining... Getting the straight lines figured out wasn't bad, getting 90 degree turns was a challenge - realizing dying battery's made a difference helped a lot.

Can't return the bot now to get the free activity kit - too attached - would they take my first born son?