Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Lemonade from lemons bot — Parallax Forums

Lemonade from lemons bot

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2012-11-20 04:14 in Robotics
So out of a lack of patients and wanting to get a rolling platform done like now! Ive decided to hold off on a 4WD robot and build a 3 wheeler for in the house, The platform is almost done needs a little reinforcement and then, the base shall be complete next comes the batterys and H-Bridge. Anyways this thing is made from a shoe string budget, luckily I have alot of erector stuff laying around. Total cost so far about 12 dollars for motors, and brass tubing to fit new axels. Oh ya and a buck for the wheels, everything else is just stuff I had! So here is where im headed

IMG_20121110_160229.jpg
IMG_20121110_152912.jpg
1024 x 1365 - 131K
1024 x 768 - 80K

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-10 16:49
    +1 LemonBot

Looks like a good start.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-11-10 20:02
    XLNT. Didja solve your gearmotor/wheel connection using JB weld? Pics...?

For small bots, simple H-bridges from relays work well...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?106382-4-State-Relay-H-Bridge
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-11-11 00:30
    i popped the 7mm gear off the motor then cut some 3mm Id brass tube and soldiered it to 4mm id brass tube. i then pressed a 4mm axel in which is im using ruber gromets around to press into the 8mm wheel hole. the 3mm brass tube is jb welded to the motors ouput shaft, i didnt want to do something so permanent but a 4mm ouput shaft is super common in the rc world so its ok. im working on a more permanent frame right now ill post some pics of the wheels/motor and new frameing tommorow.

as far as an hbridge i have 3 or 4 different chips around, i think an stm l293E will be what i use as its 1 to 2 amps and these motors stall just over an amp at 12v, but i need to test the 18v electronics goldmine said these motors would do before making a final desicision.

im not sure if this is a good idea but im thinking about runing a boost converter so my hbridge is always at max voltage no matter how low the batterys get i can be pumping 12 or 18v to the hbridge. i know one of the polulu bots has some way of providing a 9v constant to the motors
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-11 08:14
    I really like the way you attached wheels to these motors. I also like how you used the holes in the metal panels to support the axle. One of my concerns with extending the axle on these motor was the twisting torque it could cause but you robot does a good job of supporting the axle.

Thanks for taking time to show it to us.

Also thanks for the heads up about the good deal on these motors. Mine arrived Friday and they show look, sound and feel nice (they also smell nice, but I'm still ignorant about how they taste).
    edited 2012-11-11 12:21
    Thank you Duane, im glad you like the morors. im reworking a much better frame but have to reset another axel due to the issue below. Ill make sure to take pics of the wheel mounting process as i go.

well unfourtanetly the 3mm tube isnt flush around the motor shaft due to the d shape, so i have to baby sit the axels while they the jb weld drys, i ended up ruining one last night becuase i pressed in a warped axel and it caused it to set crooked even though i held it straight for an hour, so now im out a motor becuase idk how to remove jb weld, o well ill just order another at 3 bucks. I ordered six so i could make a 2wd and 4wd.
  • CrazyrabbitCrazyrabbit Posts: 116
    edited 2012-11-11 15:55
    Very creative. I also use alot of erector set stuff for building my home robots.Still waiting for Santa to bring me a bridgeport. lol
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-11-11 16:34
    so now im out a motor becuase idk how to remove jb weld.

A very sharp Exacto knife set will cut JB Weld.
    edited 2012-11-11 18:43
    Im working on a write up right now for you guys, took alot of pictures.

As fars as getting the axels off im just gonna have to wait for the .9mm hex so I can take apart the gear box and put the the axel in the oven, I cant get inside the axel with a knife of file. JB welds site says itll break down at 600f my iron wont get it that hot though so ill use the oven
    edited 2012-11-11 18:51
    @ 600 degreeas your gonna fry the wires!!!

Edit: Not the wires but the plastic wire casings.
    edited 2012-11-11 19:41
    nono, thats why im waiting for the screw driver, im going to remove the final gear and output shaft which the axel is jb'ed too then put that in the oven, only teel bars goin in the oven lol no wires or motor!
    edited 2012-11-12 06:46
    JB welds site says itll break down at 600f my iron wont get it that hot though so ill use the oven

Don't put it in your home oven. The JB Weld is likely to give off some nasty vapors. Also 600F is "self clean" temperatures for an oven and could be hard on the oven (if it can get that hot). It's likely to do more damage to the oven than the motor cost you.

I'd think some sort of blow torch would be a better choice for heating the JB Weld.
    edited 2012-11-12 23:05
    Well im not sure if the base is totally done or not but its pretty durable now, rebuilt the whole thing using lock tite on the screws and put more framing on. the motors are in there sturdy as a rock now also, so its time to start testing the chasis and see what its capable of

IMG_20121112_225735.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 82K
    edited 2012-11-13 00:31
    ok so i managed to get about 15lbs on top of this thing with 4 and 3/4 inch wheels at 3vdc.

unfourtantely i dont have a scale i just set a box of motors on the platform which was pretty heavy compared to a 10lb dumbel.

these motors are definately decent, at 12v i was goin as fast as a cheap rc car with no load on top
  • rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    edited 2012-11-16 11:55
    Nice work.

I have had problems with keeping the wheels on and straight. I ordered fitted hubs from fingertech($1), and then mounted some hollow wheels($.25) from Goldmine?. The problem that I encountered is that the various torques on the wheels cause the 3 set screws in the hub and in the gears to tear through the metal connecting rods. This causes the gears to free-wheel and the wheel to go kittywampus. The screws also damage themselves and then become slightly impossible to remove.

I used polymorph to hold the motors to an acrylic base... it is reusable, but a pain to remove:) I have ten more motors... so hacking away is my present approach.

My plan is to remove all the gears and try again using your general approach:)

In experiments, I have been using Ray's Merlin dual dc motor driver... http://rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/Merlin/Merlin.htmexcellent, but for simplicity, connectivity and mounting I am thinking of going to the same chip on a breakout board from Sparkfun.

Rich
    edited 2012-11-17 02:07
    what is poly morph? getting wheels on straight is a huge PITA mine are slightly off but no more than most other hand built devices with axels. i came up with a g"close enough solution gor getting the axels to set straight, since my tube wiggles on the shaft slightly. i set the axel with jb then i start the motor at 3v and adjust axel to the correct posistion using my finger. i then use a one hole by one hole right angle erector 90 bracket taped to a paper cd sleeve and slide it over the very tip of the axel. after that i adjist the bracket accordingly.

as far as a motor driver the stm l293e is what im using it does 1 amp continously maxes at 1.5. under load these motors run at 800ma @ 18v, but they stall at 1.65 amps which is just outa the chips rating.. so my plan is just to watch monitor the current of the motor and never allow it more than 1.3 amps or so. if your using these motors at 12v stall is at 1a so theres no need for current feedback, im assuming most will run these in the 6 to 9v range. the l293e is very easy to use very few connections, and can be sampled from stm. the stm l293b version is the same as the e except its an 18 pin dip, the e is a 20pin which has voltage monitoring that i intend to use with a boost regulator to compensate for battery drain as needed. in either case if you use my setup an stm l293e/b is easy and free and well in the realm of handeling these motors there so efficent! just dont hook up over 5v on the encoder power instead of the motor power :/ im down 3 faulhabers over careless speed testing with an 18v battery pack
    edited 2012-11-17 14:15
    what is poly morph?

The next best thing to plywood for building robots.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10950

Gareth has some cool Polymorph (aka Shape Lock) tutorials on Let's Make Robots.

I recently used Polymorph to make landing gear for my hexacopter (the white "7" shaped things under each motor).
    edited 2012-11-17 16:12
    huh ive seen sugru but ive never seen this, so how did you make those so nice, a mold? how many bags did it take to do the landing gear?
    edited 2012-11-17 17:24
    huh ive seen sugru but ive never seen this, so how did you make those so nice, a mold? how many bags did it take to do the landing gear?

Thanks, I think they look nice too. Yes, I used a mold. I used 1/4" plywood with the shape I wanted cut out from the wood. I used three pieces of plywood. One was just a square base and the other two joined together to make the mold. I bolted the two mold pieces to the base piece to hold them in place. I used copper tape to cover the wood wherever the Polymorph would come in contact with it (Al tape would have been less expensive, but I had Cu tape on hand). I then heated the Polymorph up (I used a heat gun so things wouldn't get wet) and squished the Polymorph into the mold. I preweighed the Polymorph so each landing gear would weigh the same.

attachment.php?attachmentid=97103&d=1353200877

attachment.php?attachmentid=97102&d=1353200859

Each one used 8.8g of Polymorph. All six used about 53g of Polymorph.

One of the nice features of Polymorph is it can be reused. After I had made the landing gear and I tried to figure out how to attach them to the hexacopter, I realized it would have been better to have had nuts embedded in the plastic so I made a few changes to the mold and cut off the tops of my landing gear and remelted and remolded them. It didn't take long to add the nuts this way. The bolts that held the nuts in postion within the mold also made nice holes when they were removed which made mounting the landing gear easy.
    531 x 469 - 107K
    391 x 365 - 58K
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-11-17 18:40
    +1 for polyMorph

Looks great, Duane! +2 for you and the olding tips!
    edited 2012-11-17 19:26
    thats just an awesome job, i was thinking about molding things from jb weld but now that i see what can be achieved with polymorph.... is it fairly strong?
    edited 2012-11-17 19:48
    thats just an awesome job, i was thinking about molding things from jb weld but now that i see what can be achieved with polymorph.... is it fairly strong?

Thanks Rick and rwgast, I'm pleased with how they turned out. My first attempt (I only made one) was too thin and flexed too much. These have a nice spring to them but don't have a problem holding the hexacopter up.

This stuff is very strong. It's flexible (similar to Sugru) and tough. I'll try to make a video of flexing some of it and showing how strong it is tomorrow.
    edited 2012-11-19 14:14
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'll try to make a video of flexing some of it and showing how strong it is tomorrow.

I did make the video yesterday, but I didn't post it to the forum until today. It's great stuff.
    edited 2012-11-19 18:59
    So i did some experementing today usimg 2 9vs in series to get my 18v. The bot is pretty fairly quick, its no rc car but its zippy enough, it even seems able to get through mild patches of soft sand.

my intententions are to cram motor and battery controls in an aluminum project box along with 15 nimh aa's. i tested this box and ot weighs about 3lbs or so. while driving the bot at full speed no weight my caster has to be in front to go realtively straight at all, and bumps cause the bot to flip over on its top side. i need some advice on how to add weight to this thing, id like the caster to be in the back not front, and as far as flipping it needs weight over the caster but ive heard that will make the steering worse...
    edited 2012-11-19 19:36
    What about a heavier caster/wheel combo? I am currently working on my own design for the 3 wheel bot. I have 2 10" pneumatic wheels for the rear and am still pondering the front caster. I will most likely end up having the front caster motor controlled. I have enough stepper and DC motors that I am pretty sure I can find a good match. My original thought was to build a fork (similar to a bike) and attach a motor to the top. I may still go that route as it seems a caster may be too difficult to hack for the purpose.
    edited 2012-11-19 19:47
    Does your bot still look like it did in post #16? If so you need to extend the body a bit to put some distance between the drive wheels and the caster.

As I've read erco say several times, you want most of the weight of a robot over the drive wheels for good traction but you need enough weight over the caster to keep the robot from tiping forward when stopping. Casters generally work better in the back. Use the BOE-Bot as guide to proportions.
    edited 2012-11-19 20:06
    yep still the same, im really trying to pull off a caster in the front or back make no difference since the can will rotate using a stepper motor. i will try extending the caster out a bit and see how buch this helps. im kinda wondering why i can go straight with no motor control when the caster is in the front but i do dougnuts when the caster is in the rear. i may end up ising a forked rudder wheel but for now im trying to keep thinhs simple. i was acually thinking of takink the caster off totally and adding a tracked platform, its just not in the cards yet although the pieces are here next to
  • agfaagfa Posts: 295
    edited 2012-11-20 04:14
    Try lowering the center of gravity. Instead of adding the weight to the top of the bot, add to the bottom. I had good success with a differential chasis that used an SLA by cutting a hole in the chasis and putting the bulk of the battery weight below the axle level. Doing this will decrease the ground clearance, though. I found that the more weight you have on the caster the more influence it will have on the direction of travel. I believe adding motor control will help greatly. Good luck!

agfa