Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Serial LCD — Parallax Forums

Parallax Serial LCD

VbGuruVbGuru Posts: 35
edited 2012-11-05 06:05 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hello all,
I am not sure where to post this but being as it is for a final project for school I’m putting it here.
I have one of the great parallax lcd's with the serial backpack board on it. I have to interface to an 8051 with the use of Assembly language. I have tried connecting the LCD to the serial output of the 8051 and sending it data but I get nothing from the lcd. P3.0 and p3.1 are transmit and receive lines. I attached two pdfs with the info on the 8051 and the lcd I have (which is the revision e). I have no problem using the lcd with a basic stamp 2 or even the propeller. The project final requires that I use the 8051 and assembly lang.

My project: I am using an adc0809 to look at a white light bouncing off of a colored object through three led’s. one red, one green and one blue. They are all matched in intensity so I should get a good value from them for how much of that color is bouncing back. I want to display the three adc values on the lcd and possibly if I can figure out how to do and if then statement tell you what color you are looking at. This all works well on the basic stamp but I can’t use it. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Also I was wondering if the values have to be sent out as ASCII characters to the display.

Startup:
Initialize variable and constants
Clear lcd
Main:
Poll ADC and get values
Put values in registers R0, R1, R2
Output values to lcd
Loop

Thanks

Mat

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-11-04 18:24
    Yes, the Parallax serial LCD expects ASCII data.
    As for the 8051 - it's your microcontroller, so you'll have to come up with programming an asynchronous serial ("8N1") output routine.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-11-05 06:05
    Do make sure the contrast is turned up enough and make sure the switches on the back of the LCD are set to the Baud that your 8051 is generating. You can set the contrast using the test mode (see the LCD documentation). As PJ said, we can't help you with the 8051 stuff. Sorry.