Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp compatible, high power servos available? — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp compatible, high power servos available?

CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
edited 2012-11-13 01:55 in BASIC Stamp
Hello.

I'm unsure about the exact location of this thread, but as I intend to use it with basic stamp, I think, this is the correct place.

I'm doing some semirobotic machinery device, and one of the tasks is, to rotate massive platform (weight with load about 40kg) around it's axis for about 320 degrees in less than 2 second time. Are there any protocol compatible servos, which can do a such load, and are also compatible with basic stamp? I know, I'll need some kind of driver, but this is not a hard task.

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-11-02 13:42
    Some biggies at http://www.servocity.com/html/robotzone_servos.html

Of course, you could make a beefy one using a gearmotor and a pot to monitor position. You can build a fancy FET/MOSFET controller or use simple relays, depending on how you want to do it.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-11-02 13:42
    Servos large enough probably exist but they would be very expensive. I think your best bet is to use an HB-25 (which accepts servo signals) and have that drive a gear motor. Or use a good sized stepper motor and driver.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-11-02 13:45
    erco wrote: »
    Some biggies at http://www.servocity.com/html/robotzone_servos.html

Of course, you could make a beefy one using a gearmotor and a pot to monitor position. You can build a fancy FET/MOSFET controller or use simple relays, depending on how you want to do it.

Those aren't fast enough. He wants it to do nearly a full rotation in less than two seconds.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-11-02 14:06
    The size of the motor required will depend upon how the weight on the platform is distributed. The more concentrated it is toward the center (i.e. the lower the moment of inertia), the smaller the motor you can get by with. There are ways to compute how much torque you will need to meet your requirements, if you know how the weight is distributed.

-Phil
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2012-11-02 21:57
    Thanks for help.

The platform itself is mounted on the circular ball gearing, so all what motor needs to do, is just to rotate the platform. I've attached adjustable torque wrench just to determine, what amount of force is needed to start platform moving. It was about 40 lbs/in. I'm unsure, how to convert this measurement to wattage of motor.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-11-05 14:48
    Another option could be a linear actuator or perhaps a solenoid pushing pulling a toothed gear rod onto a gear wheel attached to the centre support of the platform.
  • walkin79walkin79 Posts: 29
    edited 2012-11-13 01:55
    i would use a motorcycle starter motor and the paralax speed controller, a good pot ... you'll have to find the correct gearing but that ought to do it