Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
mouse optical flow, wiimote ir cameras? which is better — Parallax Forums

mouse optical flow, wiimote ir cameras? which is better

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2012-11-01 15:11 in Accessories
so ive been looking at optical flow sensors and wii cameras both seem very very intresting for navigation. im wondering if there is a way to use an optical flow from a mouse to scan the xy on across the ground but get the sensor a few inches off the floor? if not maybe a wii camera and laser could be used for the same purpose, maybe even more accurate? does anyone know if u can get these ir cameras anywhere other than a wii mote

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-11-01 12:36
    does anyone know if u can get these ir cameras anywhere other than a wii mote

Chris the Carpenter sells them on a little PCBs that makes them easier to use. I have a couple of his. I think he sells good stuff.

Just don't try to take one out of a generic Wii Mote. Generic versions don't necessarily use the same protocol and the Wii version.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-11-01 13:11
    ohhh thanks! i was going to use a generic not just due to price but also becuase the generics use regular old screws instead of the y shaped screws.

what ablout the accelerometers in the nunchuck, are generics a no no there? do u happen to know if the st chip is the accelerometer in the nunchuck i was thinking about desoldering it and putting it on a break out board.

as far as buying the cameras is there a way to get them steady for commericial projects?
    edited 2012-11-01 13:22
    ohhh thanks! i was going to use a generic not just due to price but also becuase the generics use regular old screws instead of the y shaped screws.

Yeah, I have three generic Wii Motes I had hoped to harvest the cameras from. I don't know if it was Chris or Gareth who told me the protocol was different (I think it was Gareth).

what ablout the accelerometers in the nunchuck, are generics a no no there? do u happen to know if the st chip is the accelerometer in the nunchuck i was thinking about desoldering it and putting it on a break out board.

Generic Nunchucks can still be used with a uC since they use the I2C to communicate with the Wii Mote which is also used with a uC. The internals of a generic nunchuck can be very different than the Wii version. They may also use less resolution than the Wii versions. You can't count on the generic parts to match the parts in the official versions.
    as far as buying the cameras is there a way to get them steady for commericial projects?

I have no idea about this.
    edited 2012-11-01 13:54
    well i took the board out of a true nunchuck, and there is an st chip qfp i think and one labeled with just numbers its plain smt with fine pitch teeth, i cant find info on either i really wanted the data for the accelerometer which im sure is the non st chip.

as far as generics do none of the cameras use i2c or is it a Smile shoot? i acually found the links to the wii camera stuff in your index and it seems like these cameras have a huge amount of possibilty. do u think connecting a full generic wiimote to the prop would work? then u could use a bus pirate and analyzer to decode the protocal
    edited 2012-11-01 13:56
    lso do u know of any other intresting projects using these cams, doesnt have to be for the prop..
    edited 2012-11-01 15:11
    as far as generics do none of the cameras use i2c or is it a Smile shoot?

I think you're likely to have better luck at craps or even the lottery than getting a generic camera to work with I2C.
    do u think connecting a full generic wiimote to the prop would work? then u could use a bus pirate and analyzer to decode the protocal
    From what I understand, the camera info doesn't come from the Wii Mote's wired connection. The wired connection in used to get data to the Wii Mote which the Wii Mote then sends via BlueTooth to the console/PC. It might be possible to use a BT module with a Prop to capture this information? If it's been done, I bet Gareth has done it.
    so do u know of any other intresting projects using these cams, doesnt have to be for the prop..
    Not any of note (at least that I recall) that aren't listed in my index.