Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Piezoeletric Song For Merry Go Round — Parallax Forums

Piezoeletric Song For Merry Go Round

AndroidAndroid Posts: 82
edited 2012-11-02 13:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone. I need a song for the Merry go round i am building and need to have it tommorow. I f you have something Say So please!
-Android

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2012-10-30 17:06
    I built a Ferris wheel for my daughter that played "Never Smile at a crocodile" .... it might work for a Merry Go Round.
  • AndroidAndroid Posts: 82
    edited 2012-10-30 18:03
    That would be great can you upload the program on to your post!
    -Android
    edited 2012-10-30 18:31
    Program? ... I used a MIDI version of the song and converted it to a wav file and burned the wav file in an EEPROM. The EEPROM was played with a simple R2R dac and an LM386 Audio amplifier. Granted this was awhile ago, but for the most part you can still go this route.

Once you have the song in EEPROM by whatever means, it's nothing for a micro controller to sequentially read the EEPROM and present the data to some output pins.

When you said you needed a 'song' I assumed that you had the hardware to support playing the song. Tell us what you have so that we can better assist you..
    edited 2012-10-30 18:33
    I have a bs2 and not sure how to use EEPROM on a mac. I was hoping that you had it in a form of program.
    edited 2012-10-30 18:41
    Another question is to ask what kind of quality you want.... it wouldn't be the EEPROM on your computer, it would be a stand-alone memory.

That aside, if you want this by tomorrow, I would suggest getting the song sheet for that song, or whatever song you like. ...convert that into the proper tones that a BS2 can generate. Since you have essentially two voices on the BS2 when it comes to generating frequency, you could stagger the frequencies slightly to create a smoother sound.

There are programs already out there for the BS2 where you can just enter the notes. but at the moment I can't put my hands on them. I have seen them in the forum though.
    edited 2012-10-30 18:54
    I chose to do super mario and got that working but i don't know how to run the music as well as the main program. Can you help?
    edited 2012-10-30 19:14
    Can you attach the code you have? Since the BS2 is a single processor device you won't be able to play music and do other tasks, unless you carefully orchestrate your timing and events. That said, when the BS2 is playing music, it will be stuck playing music. The only chance to do any task oriented code will be between any pauses in the music.
    edited 2012-10-30 19:16
    Nevermind i will run the music before it spins! THANKS so much!
    -Android
    edited 2012-10-30 19:20
    Check this out, it might be helpful :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvZS9gSKRp4
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-30 19:30
    There was a project not long ago that used a Basic Stamp to play "God Save the Queen" in between waving a hand and some other movement. I know code was posted for it. I might be useful to you.

I use the S2's GUI to enter music and sounds I want a Propeller to play and paste the generated code into my larger program. I haven't used the original Scribbler, but maybe it has a GUI that would make it easier to enter music.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-10-30 21:06
    The Parallax SoundPAL works with a BASIC Stamp and can play a tune repeatedly while the Stamp is busy with other stuff.

-Phil
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-11-02 13:01
    There are many sound programs for the BS2px-based Parallax Penguin robot, free for download here. You could adapt the tunes and programs to the BS2 by adjusting the timing. The Penguin Jukebox has 11 popular tunes. The KTV program is also a good tune program. A zip of all sound files is available here for download.