Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 ECU interface (Data Logging & Traction Control) — Parallax Forums

2004 Suzuki GSX-R 1000 ECU interface (Data Logging & Traction Control)

JodyDanielaJodyDaniela Posts: 3
edited 2012-11-01 05:16 in Robotics
I am an advid motorcycle enthusiast who frequents the race track. The modern motorcycle utilizes Electronic Control Modules (ECM) to operate. Some come equiped with traction control and data logging as well. The 2004 Suzuki GSX-R comes equiped with a 32bit ECU. Re-flashing or hacking these microprocessors is something I am currently trying to find more information about. Traction control systems are now widely available for most motorcycles with electronic control modules (ECM's) but not for this one. I hope to learn how to incorporate a basic stamp microprocessor into the functionality of the motorcycle. I am not an engineer or a professional motorcycle racer, I am in fact a registered nurse but I hope to learn what I need from various resources including this forum in order to accoplish my goals for this project.

The first phase of this project is to datalog only. I have already isolated the single wire output from the wiring harness leading to the gauge cluster for the:
1. Tachometer *I'm not exactly sure how to read the pulse signals here but I believe that they are going to be square waves of varing frequency depending on RPM. I've read that a 40-100k ohm resister or diode will be required to change the pulse from 12v to 3.3v. I've also read that this may be serial output. *I need to figure this out first.
2. Speedometer *I havn't come accross any information about the pulse signal.
3. Neutral light *This should be simple on/off.

Well, that's my introduction. I'm working on this project at a slow and steady pace. If anyone has any information that might be helpfull post them please. I'll be adding references and resources as I go. This is just the begining!
-Jody

Comments

• sidecar-racersidecar-racer Posts: 82
    edited 2012-10-27 08:25
    Jody,
    I'm a Bonneville Land Speed Record and roadracer racer running a GSXR 1000 06 in an LCR sidecar. I've built a propeller-based Data Logger with GPS, #-axis Accel, Ananlog recording, RPM, Wheel speeds, including Speedo conversion, SD card data storage, etc. We can compare notes.

It's time I introduce this project anyway, more to come.

Rick Murray
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-11-01 05:16
    Jody,
    If the cable is a single wire (single conductor) to the gauge cluster, then it must be some kind of serial communication. You will probably need an oscilloscope to look at the signal on that wire.
    Good luck with the project.

Bean