Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Powring a window air conditioner with Password pad — Parallax Forums

Powring a window air conditioner with Password pad

memooo2006memooo2006 Posts: 8
edited 2012-10-23 14:04 in Robotics
How are you doing all... I have a small issue I wanted to take some of you input in... As the title of this thread suggests ... I am thinking of building a pass code pad for my window air conditioner...so that you would need to insert a pass code in order to energize the AC on and the same if you want to de-energize it.

At the top of my head, I am thinking of using high rated driver (that handles about 1500W), a microcontroller and a numbers-based pad... I am not sure if this actually feasible and would work or not...

if any of you has a comment or suggestions please help me out...

Thanks

Comments

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2012-10-22 18:49
    Pretty heavy duty relay is needed, or maybe just lock the cord up.

lock-out-and-tag-out-electr-250x250.jpg
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2012-10-22 19:47
    There is likely already a relay inside, driven by the thermostat. If you can get at that, you'll still need a relay, but a much smaller one.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-22 20:01
    What kind of microcontroller do you plan to use?

Here's a relay that should be able to handle the current to the AC. You'll need a transistor to drive the relay. SparkFun sells a kit that includes the parts needed for controlling a relay from a microcontroller.

If you're using a 3.3V microcontroller, you'll need to make a couple of small changes to the relay circuit (in the above mentioned kit) intended to be used with 5V microcontrollers.

I like these keypads from MPJA (mainly since they're cheap).
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,558
    edited 2012-10-23 07:38
    Playing devils advocate here ... I have to wonder why your wanting to prevent others from being comfortable? In a co-working environment, that's not a good way to make friends. If the unit is being left on and not shut off when the last person leaves, then maybe a timer on the outlet would be a better solution.
  • memooo2006memooo2006 Posts: 8
    edited 2012-10-23 14:04
    Hi all...

Tonyp12, I like your idea....straight to the point and much easier solution...lool

I notice from all your replies that I really need a relay...

Duane.... I am not sure what type of Microcontroller I am ganna use...I am pretty comfortable with PICs since I worked with in several projects...However, I might try something different this time...maybe one of Arduino modules this time... I will keep in mine the 5 V issue ...I really like your suggestions for the parts I think that is exactly what I need...I have one concern thu, I have not experience with AC current and power before so I am not sure what kinda risk I might face specially in terms of safety. In This project.. I am planning for controlling a 24 BTU ..so that is a lot of power...will the module you suggested be safe assuming that the Air Conditioner will be on for long periods of times...??

Schwabe,, LOOL not playing devil advocate...As a matter of fact I am helping a friend ..His problem is that people keep shutting his Ari conditioner off while he is a sleep to wake him up..!! and it is really pissing him off..so i suggested this idea ... plus keep in mind that I have a lot of free time..basically bored !! plus I want to doe some projects interfacing with AC power appliances to do cooler stuff later on..:)