Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 Default Programs — Parallax Forums

S2 Default Programs

deanwesterburgdeanwesterburg Posts: 25
edited 2012-11-02 20:45 in Robotics
I ordered an S2 yesterday and I'm anxious to get started with some ideas I have that I want to write in SPIN, but I do want to be able to play with the 8 demo programs later.

If I load my own program, will I overwrite the 8 demo programs? If so, can I re-download them later?

Thanks!

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-10-22 15:53
    If I load my own program, will I overwrite the 8 demo programs? If so, can I re-download them later?

Yes and yes.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-10-22 16:21
    As an addendum, I know that the source for the S2 object is available as I've read through it. It was worth a read even though I don't own an S2 (yet).

I must warn you, back in 2006 I purchased a Scribbler 1 and got bit by the hobby robotics bug. It is an addictive hobby, although inexpensive compared to RC aircraft, unless you get into UAV's.
  • deanwesterburgdeanwesterburg Posts: 25
    edited 2012-10-24 20:02
    Thanks for the replies. I got my S2 in the mail today. I'm not impressed. It's going back tomorrow. So few of the features / sensors work. I hope I just got a bad one. I've been ordering from Parallax for years and always been impress with the quality... Until today..
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-26 19:31
    Before you send it back make sure and try the "Obsevation Deck". It's the icon right next to the "Help" icon in the GUI titled "Monitor the Scribbler's Sensors".

One thing I didn't understand at first with the S2 was the need for a relative bright room to use the light sensors as input devices. Using the observation deck it easier to see how sensitive the various sensors are.
  • deanwesterburgdeanwesterburg Posts: 25
    edited 2012-11-02 20:45
    Duane,

You are exactly right. The sensors are working fine, they just need a lot more light that I have available in my workspace! Thanks for the tip!