Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Propeller circuit on a proto board — Parallax Forums

Basic Propeller circuit on a proto board

RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
edited 2012-10-30 00:18 in Robotics
I finally finished my Propeller Board project, the goal of which was to actually put to use the Propeller chip I received in the 25th Anniversary "Mystery Bag". The first one I made didn't turn out so well, and neither did the second. The third one turned out pretty good though.

I had never really built much of anything on a perf board/proto-board before. I guess you could just connect everything using pieces of wire running all over the place, but I wanted something a little nicer and neater than that. What I finally ended up doing was to lay out the board as if it was going to be a single-sided PCB. I actually used Diptrace to do this. I put as much wiring as possible on the bottom. I also tried to restrict connections to straight lines and right-angle turns because it makes the entire wiring process a lot easier. It turned out to be not as easy or as quick to build as I thought it would be. Most of the time the wire doesn't like to cooperate and lay flat for soldering, and it's very easy to put a part in the wrong place or wire a connection incorrectly. Still, I'm pretty happy with the result. There is good access to the pins and plenty of empty space left. Maybe I'll add some sockets for the i/o pins and a small breadboard, and I may need to add a 5 volt regulator at some point.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96442&d=1350854263

Note that there are some red LEDs and an 8 resistor DIP pack in the photo that aren't shown on the PCB layout.
Those 2 mm LEDs are the perfect size for a board like this or regular plastic breadboards.
1024 x 680 - 204K
1024 x 680 - 276K
1024 x 1024 - 154K

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-10-21 14:33
    Good job Rick!!
  • TymkrsTymkrs Posts: 539
    edited 2012-10-21 16:03
    Ooo! This is a great resource. I need to compare my noobie circuit to see if i got it right :)
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-10-21 16:45
    This is super! I had posted a while back about a Hack-a-Day for a single sided Arduino board you could make at home. I thought that would be a great school STEM project. It looks like you are very close with your design. Well done!!
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-10-21 16:51
    It could easily be modified to be completely single-sided. The connection from the Prop Plug to Reset and a second ground would just have to be run around the edge of the board. It was just easier to use a jumper (it isn't even a real jumper, I just threaded the wire up through a hole, across the power connection, and back down through another hole). The picture of the Diptrace layout might be a little confusing as to the jumper wires. Attached is a photo of my first failed attempt. It has lots of problems, but it does show pretty clearly how the capacitors on the Propeller's power pins are wired up. Not all sockets will let the caps fit underneath, be sure to check before starting (that was one problem on failed board #2). If they don't fit, there's actually plenty of room for them to the sides. Also, be careful of the 470 uF capacitor because it's + marking happened to end up practically on top of the negative connection, the square pad is the positive pin.

It could easily be modified to be completely single-sided.
    Well, I've been playing around with it and it looks like at least one jumper will be necessary, maybe I can disguise it as a resistor :)
    Also, it turns out that the way I mounted the caps on the power pins is actually kind of neat.
    To move them out from under the Prop I'll have to use caps with wider pin spacing.
    1024 x 680 - 1015K
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-10-21 21:48
    Looks clean, good work!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-10-22 10:27
    "disguise it as a resistor" ...

There are zero-Ohm resistors available that look like conventional resistors, but are just a piece of wire with some resistor-shaped plastic molded on it and zero Ohms coded into color stripes on the body. They're used for automatic part placement where some versions of a device require a jumper and others require a discrete resistance value in the same location.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-10-22 10:39
    Looks good, but I have two questions:

* There are two other IC's besides the propeller on that board. One is obviously the EEPROM, but what is the other one next to the voltage regulator? It's not on the schematic, so I'm curious.

* I'm surprised to see C1 and C2 on the supply side of the voltage regulator, usually they require capacitors on both the supply and output side.

I agree that building boards is a surprising amount of work. It seems to take me forever.
    edited 2012-10-22 11:32
    The other "IC" is the 8 resistor DIP pack (array) for current limiting on the three LEDs I was using for testing. I only used it because I had one handy and may add more LEDs later. I could have just used three individual resistors.

Unlike LDO regulators, the LM317 doesn't always require capacitors on the output, though it is often a good idea. Once you add capacitors, then you need protection diodes and this increases the complexity of the circuit, which I was trying to avoid. At the low current I expect to draw and the fact that the input is from a regulated switch-mode wall adapter I'm pretty sure it will work fine. I did leave some room for them next to the DC input jack just in case.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-10-22 11:42
    Thanks Rick, makes sense, I read you text, but somehow didn't put two and two together to realize that was a resistor pack next to the regulator. I tend to use LDO regulators because I like the lower minimum operating voltage, so I don't have much experience with ones like the LM317.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-10-22 13:47
    Any plans for the other half of the board?
    You haven't routed any of the I/O to headers or pins or anything. ( :
    edited 2012-10-23 09:37
    Any plans for the other half of the board?
    I'm still thinking about it, but something like this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96465&d=1351009882

I haven't added any more LEDs, because I want different colors not all the same, and that will have to wait for the next Mouser order. I also want to have a few of those small tactile buttons somewhere, because I can never get those to fit correctly in plastic breadboards.
    1024 x 680 - 177K
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-10-30 00:18
    This is very basic but I wanted to be able to jumper wire my prop to a bread board so my design worked fine at the time, my I/O is right next to the chip like your thinking of doing well let me tell you if I could go back I would do it different. I would use the same double row sockets like you have done, that way I could link the outer row to +5v +3.3v and the i2c and serial lines, probably something like +5v, +3.3v, Grnd, i2c pins, on one header outer row then +5, +3.3, grnd, TX/RX pins, on the outside of the next header. The next thing I would have done is spaced the I/o header farther from the chip, both of these techniques would have made sheilds alot easier than the system im currently using, Sometimes you just want to slide a vga/keyboard circuit on top or maybe just protoboard your project and slide it on like a shield instead of running jumper wire every which way. Just something to think about :)

IMG_20121023_191612.jpg
    IMG_20121023_191554.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 115K
    1024 x 768 - 91K