Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
// Modulus Operator - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

// Modulus Operator

2»

Comments

• sbotsbot Posts: 19
    edited 2012-10-22 19:51
    PJ,
    Thank you so much for verifying that for me. I have been looking at Jameco's site for an opto isolator and saw some with an AC imput that I think would be perfect, but I would have to pad my order with other items to make the postage worthwhile. I love spending money on my hobbies, but that Red Haired Person often thinks I spend to much on my hobbies. She would rather waste the money I spend, on a retirement cabin on the lake.
    What do you think about making something. Maybe an IR Led coupled with an IR Phototransistor? would I need another transistor to make a darlington . I'll have to look and see what I have and download data sheets, but any help would be appreciated. Remember as I said in an earlier post; the pulse is 22vac and rather long and dirty, bouncy I'm sure. Then pen is held against the magnetic pole for .25-.5 seconds.

Hope I don't wear out my welcome. Everyone has been great in the advice given and giving me a place to think things through.

Thank you so much,
    Oscar
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-10-23 05:48
    sbot wrote: »
    What do you think about making something. Maybe an IR Led coupled with an IR Phototransistor? would I need another transistor to make a darlington .
    I'm all for making something. If you have the items in your box, use them. So, couple an IRED to an IRphototransistor.
    Here's an example using a photocell, but same difference - http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-simple-optocoupler/
    Phototransistors are "high gain" already, no further augmentation necessary.