Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Problem when I want to connect Eddie and Kinect with Robotics developer studio — Parallax Forums

Problem when I want to connect Eddie and Kinect with Robotics developer studio

triomphetriomphe Posts: 3
edited 2013-02-08 13:15 in Robotics
Hi everyone,
I am a new one. These days in my project in the school .i meet some trouble when I connect Kinect and Eddie with my laptop. I have installed the visual studio 2010 professional and then the Kinect SDK 1.6v.at last I installed the Robotics Developer studio 4.then I down ParallaxServiceRDS4InstallGuide-v1.1 and Parallax Service for RDS4 .When I finish all the stuff. I lance the DSS Command Prompt. I enter Eddie. They just return le problem as follow:
problem of setting up eddie.PNG

And when I enter :kinectUI they return as follow
kinectUI.PNG

I don’t know what’s the wrong. I just follow le instruction .is there anything I missed?
p.s I didn’t setup Eddie firmware because I don’t know how to do it.its the problem?
thank your replies.
620 x 682 - 45K

Comments

• Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-10-17 15:45
    Hey triomphe,

Try uninstalling Kinect SDK v1.6 and install Kinect SDK v1.0. Even though Kinect for Windows has continued updating, RDS4 is still on v1.0 and will only run with the matching version of the Kinect SDK.

Let us know if that works!

-- Jessica
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-10-17 19:40
    if I am not mistaken i think you will also need to do a "Build All" again. I have often used "Build All" a second time when receiving errors and it ironically works.
  • triomphetriomphe Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-18 06:13
    hi, jessica.
    you are totally right.The problem is the vision of Kinect SDK .after re-install vision v1.0.the error is disappeared.thank you very much.by the way i am using kinect for xbox ,not the kinect for windows.
  • triomphetriomphe Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-18 06:17
    thank you ,i am not sure whether it metter or not.but when i chang to the vision 1.0v .and lance the 'buildallsample' they just said 56warning 0error instead of 56warning 17error (which is said in vision 1.6v.) .have a nice day.
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-10-19 09:40
    A further warning about upgrading the SDK. It is interesting, if you upgrade from 1.0 to 1.5.2 and build all samples everything compiles fine. The problem is that you are updating the service that has "(user)" as part of the service name. The problem is that the manifest you run with the "eddie" command at the DSS command prompt has the old reference. I think re-naming it would fix that problem, but I'm not in my shop to test. I will do that this evening.

Worse, if you upgrade to 1.6 they have changed at least four of the methods in the SDK and if you "build all samples" you get compile errors. If you compile in Visual Studio they show up as "Warnings as Errors" and you could probably turn off that level of error checking and re-compile using VS. But since the methods are deprecated that isn't really a great solution. I'm working on a step-by-step procedure for those who want to upgrade and will put it under the resources heading on my blog (http://roboticsathome.wordpress.com).

Todd
    edited 2012-10-22 08:24
    I have the process for upgrading the Kinect SDK in RDS4 to either 1.5.2 or 1.6. The details are rather long so I have it documented in my blog at: http://roboticsathome.wordpress.com/upgrading-the-kinect-sdk-in-microsoft-robotics-studio-4/

I am also going to start a new thread with this same information for others.

Todd
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2013-01-30 16:18
    hello,

i am gettin the aam error with kinect v1.0 and i have tried for days please help.
    edited 2013-01-31 11:23
    hello,

has anyone had an issue with the eddie code that came from parallas. i followed all of the steps but when i go to the command line for RDS and type eddie i get some lines no werrors but no windows as well.
    edited 2013-01-31 14:44
    Chris,

You might get a screen capture of the errors you are seeing and post them. It would make it easier to isolate the problem.

Todd
    edited 2013-01-31 17:54
    hello,

attached is the file that shows a screenshot after i type the command eddie.
    eddienogo.jpg
    1024 x 564 - 101K
    edited 2013-01-31 19:04
    Hello, I have got the robot going but it seems to be very incorrect with directions form the xbox controller. I also did not see the Kinect windows so I think I only have half of it working
    edited 2013-02-01 05:25
    i think this is dealing with the kinect but with the kinect software i can make it work but the weddie software and the kinectui services no luck. attached is a screen shot

eddie error.jpg
    1024 x 517 - 113K
    edited 2013-02-07 11:42
    As you suspected, the problem is with the Kinect. Have you verified in Device Manager that the Kinect is operating? You said that you are using SDK 1.0 so you should see four services running under the Kinect. You can also use the Kinect Developers Toolkit to verify that the Kinect is operating. The Kinect is very resource hungry (it uses over 60% of a USB controller) so you shouldn't be sharing its controller with any other USB hardware as this will cause a range of problems from no operation at all to some very flaky behavior (which is much more troublesome than simply breaking).

Todd
    edited 2013-02-07 14:11
    i have found the problem the kinect was getting power from the USB but not the controler board i have contacte parallax and working on a replacement board.
    edited 2013-02-08 13:15
    Chris,

I'm glad you found the problem. Once it works, it really is a lot of fun to work with.

Todd