Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic stamp program.1 — Parallax Forums

Basic stamp program.1

Herz7Herz7 Posts: 3
edited 2012-10-23 23:58 in BASIC Stamp
Hello my fellows friends,

I am back with another issu. I am working on a small project, a charger using the solar panel and batteries. I bought a BS1 that I am using to control my voltage. So, I tested the the BS 1 IC that is working very well. Now, connected on my board, I wanted to test the charger. But I don't see the microcontroller from the system. Also, I found out that the 9V battery I connected to the BS1 is discharged. My test ran for about 30 second.
I have two questions:
- Is it normal to obtain this discharge or did I connected something wrong. the test was simple and basically straight forward.
- Second, If my discharge is normal what kind of battery could anyone suggested to me because the charger will be in use for a long periode of time per day or weeks or more?

Thank you

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-10-16 11:12
    A 9V battery will only last a few hours at best. If you have extra circuitry hooked up (right or wrong) you can drain the battery in several minutes. Yes, you can plug a wall wart into the barrel connector if you want to make it run for days or weeks.

Photos and schematics of your hookup may help us find errors or suggest improvements.
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-10-16 22:44
    With a new fully charged battery, to discharge that fast indicates a direct short. Check connections for polarity with a meter and report back with more detail. Also if you solve it, let us know what happened.
  • ZizzyDizzyZizzyDizzy Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-17 06:29
    A wall adapter would work very well for long term use and testing. Using a wall adapter when there could be a short can cause serious damage to the Basic Stamp and to other components that are connected. A malfunctioning solar panel will allow (Sometimes) a direct short circuit. (A diode helps if the solar panel still produces voltage.)
    Sorry didn't see that you did not have solar panel connected at the time.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2012-10-18 10:58
    Herz7 wrote: »
    Hello my fellows friends,

I am back with another issu. I am working on a small project, a charger using the solar panel and batteries. I bought a BS1 that I am using to control my voltage. So, I tested the the BS 1 IC that is working very well. Now, connected on my board, I wanted to test the charger. But I don't see the microcontroller from the system. Also, I found out that the 9V battery I connected to the BS1 is discharged. My test ran for about 30 second.
    I have two questions:
    - Is it normal to obtain this discharge or did I connected something wrong. the test was simple and basically straight forward.
    - Second, If my discharge is normal what kind of battery could anyone suggested to me because the charger will be in use for a long periode of time per day or weeks or more?

Thank you

Can you post drawing of your solar panel setup / hookup to BS?
    Does your solar panel connection includes reverse / discharge protection (diode)?
    Since you are experimenting with power source, do you own VOM or are you just fying blindfolded?
    BS genrally draws max 50 ma and you should be able to measure the current drawn from your BS battery to eliminate any guesswork.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-10-19 05:14
    I found out that the 9V battery I connected to the BS1 is discharged. My test ran for about 30 second.
    With a new fully charged battery, to discharge that fast indicates a direct short.
    Definitely a short somewhere. Isn't that like about a 600-800 AH discharge rate?
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-10-23 23:58
    Herz7, did you get this working?