Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropClock with Scrolling Pithy Sayings — Parallax Forums

PropClock with Scrolling Pithy Sayings

tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
edited 2012-10-15 17:20 in Robotics
This is a Scrolling Message Board with Clock/Calendar/Thermometer. It is based on Propeller and uses three Sure Electronics 16 x 32 tri-color display modules. A video of the finished project can be viewed at

http://youtu.be/ncgkNj_H5BQ

The code is a mixture of spin and PASM. I made use of several Objects, including Parallax Serial Terminal and SD-MMC_FatEngine.

I used seven of the eight cogs; at least two or three could have been combined into one.
Cog 0 Main program includes code to build display buffers and control the DS1302 clock chip. This program also launches the other six cogs.
Cog 1 Parallax Serial Terminal, used for debugging.
Cog 2 FatEngine. I have a micro SD card containing pithy sayings and anniversaries. They are scrolled across the bottom row of text.
Cog 3 Spin code controls the DS1620Thermometer and reads the switches.
Cog 4 PASM code drives the display. It refreshes the display (196 bytes) each time a column is written.
Cog 5 PASM code that reads an ambient light detecter.
Cog 6 Spin code reads sayings and birthdays using the FatEngine.

The code is appended. It is a mixture of spin and PASM. Nearly all of the spin variables are global; each of the two PASM cogs has it’s own variables.

The SD card contains a single file. It is a TXT file, comprising (currently) about 700 pithy saying and about 400 birthdays and anniversaries.

A schematic and a photo of the board are appended.
1024 x 768 - 88K

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-10-15 17:17
    This is a Scrolling Message Board with Clock/Calendar/Thermometer. It is based on Propeller and uses three Sure Electronics 16 x 32 tri-color display modules. A video of the finished project can be viewed at

http://youtu.be/ncgkNj_H5BQ

The code is a mixture of spin and PASM. I made use of several Objects, including Parallax Serial Terminal and SD-MMC_FatEngine.

I used seven of the eight cogs; at least two or three could have been combined into one.
    Cog 0 Main program includes code to build display buffers and control the DS1302 clock chip. This program also launches the other six cogs.
    Cog 1 Parallax Serial Terminal, used for debugging.
    Cog 2 FatEngine. I have a micro SD card containing pithy sayings and anniversaries. They are scrolled across the bottom row of text.
    Cog 3 Spin code controls the DS1620Thermometer and reads the switches.
    Cog 4 PASM code drives the display. It refreshes the display (196 bytes) each time a column is written.
    Cog 5 PASM code that reads an ambient light detecter.
    Cog 6 Spin code reads sayings and birthdays using the FatEngine.

The code is appended. It is a mixture of spin and PASM. Nearly all of the spin variables are global; each of the two PASM cogs has it’s own variables.

The SD card contains a single file. It is a TXT file, comprising (currently) about 700 pithy saying and about 400 birthdays and anniversaries.

A schematic and a photo of the board are appended.

Outstanding project Tom!

Nice execution with the custom board also.

Jim
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-10-15 17:20
    Just remembered your name from another good project:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?136525-Clock-Calendar-Thermometer-with-64-x-8-Led-Matrix-Display

K
    eep up the great work!

Jim