Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Frequency — Parallax Forums

Radio Frequency

phayes35phayes35 Posts: 6
edited 2012-10-26 13:28 in BASIC Stamp
Here is what I am building,I will have a laser setup and I have built a module and when the beam gets broken it emits a tone,but what I would like to know is,is there any way to send a tone to a two way radio to alert me that something has broken the perimeter? If so,what module do I need and what about programming?...Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-10-13 15:01
    phayes35,

Welcome to the Parallax forum!

Do you already have a pair of two-way radios that you can devote to this project? If so, what kind are they?

-Phil
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2012-10-13 18:05
    Take a a look at the gizmo on e-bay called "Driveway patrol".
    IR sensor with wirelless remote indicator.
    I belive it is on 43x MHz ISM no license required frequency.
    Probably hackable for your aplication.
  • phayes35phayes35 Posts: 6
    edited 2012-10-13 19:51
    phayes35,

Welcome to the Parallax forum!

Do you already have a pair of two-way radios that you can devote to this project? If so, what kind are they?

-Phil

I have a pair of midland two way radios,34 mile range with many channels,I was thinking about using channel 8 with a frequency of 467.5625
    edited 2012-10-13 19:59
    What's the model number of the Midland radios?

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-14 06:37
    Model #GXT1050
    edited 2012-10-14 08:01
    That radio has a VOX circuit, so getting it to transmit on a tone output from the BASIC Stamp should be pretty easy. Use a low-pass RC filter from one of the Stamp's pins, followed by a resistive divider to limit the amplitude to microphone levels, then capacitively couple that to the radios's external mic input.

You should also read the regs regarding non-voice transmissions in the FRS band.

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-14 08:13
    I appreciate your input,but you lost me on that one..haha,I am new at this and still trying to learn this programming.I have made my board with a phototransistor so it can detect my laser beam but I am having a hard time understanding the programming to make it work,so basically,I will have a laser pointing at the phototransistor and when the beam is broken I want it to send the signal to alert me via two way radio,even just a tone is fine.
    edited 2012-10-14 09:02
    The easiest solution may just be to tape a piezo speaker over the radio's internal microphone and set the radio to operate in VOX mode. You can drive the piezo speaker directly from the BASIC Stamp using the FREQOUT statement.

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-14 17:27
    I am still building/programming this project,does anybody have any idea on how to write the programming for this? any help would greatly be appreciated!
  • isaachisaach Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-20 16:42
    I just finished a laser tripwire myself. Its my first coding project so I don't know if the code is perfect, but it works.
    IF (IN1 = 1) THEN HIGH 2  

That command would check for the laser input on pin 1, and then it would turn on pin 2.

If you would like I can send you the whole code. Just let me know.
    edited 2012-10-26 13:28
    isaach wrote: »
    I just finished a laser tripwire myself. Its my first coding project so I don't know if the code is perfect, but it works.
    IF (IN1 = 1) THEN HIGH 2  

That command would check for the laser input on pin 1, and then it would turn on pin 2.

If you would like I can send you the whole code. Just let me know.

That would be great!!! get with me via email and we can talk about this..Thanks Again! hayesauto55@gmail.com