Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A pox on acrylic. — Parallax Forums

A pox on acrylic.

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2015-06-02 12:24 in Robotics
A few months back I bought a laser cut acrylic plate for prototypes. Well it was easy to bolt things to it, but a piece snapped off with little strain. Acrylic it seems is brittle and prone to breaking, but it also seems to take well to glue, perhaps it is a wash.

Comments

• ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2012-10-07 16:55
    Agreed! Built a 'bot chassis with a sheet of acrylic and when I tried to make a small pilot hole for a larger drill, a whole corner broke off. Simple fix with a bit of glue and a patch, but it really annoyed me. I seldom use acrylic anymore. :-|
    I prefer PVC and can find many sizes and shapes in the scrap bin at a local plastics supplier.

@
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-10-07 17:32
    Two words: Ply Wood!

Ok, that's actually one word but it's more dramatic that way! :0)
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-10-07 18:22
    There is a big difference between cast acrylic and extruded acrylic. Extruded is what you will find at Home Depot and is very brittle. Cast is much more durable but a bit more expensive. I only use cast for anything that is structural. There is also high impact acrylic which you can nearly bend back upon itself before it breaks.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2012-10-07 18:23
    Do you have cast or extruded acrylic? There is a difference.

edit: W9GFO beat me to the punch.......
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-10-07 18:26
    Also, make sure you never use Loctite with acrylic.I learned that the hard way, assembling my Thing-O-Matic..

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-07 18:38
    Do you have cast or extruded acrylic? ...

You can perform a simple test to verify if you have cast or extruded. Light a piece on fire - if it drips little fireballs then it is extruded. If it just burns and crackles it is cast.

Also, cast generally has paper backing and extruded generally has plastic baking. Don't know if that is always the case though.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-10-07 19:36
    Well it's good to know that there are different grades. There's no way this stuff could bend without breaking, so it is probably extruded. I think I agree with mindrobots. It's a heck of a lot easier to find good plywood.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-10-08 01:46
    Martin_H wrote: »
    It's a heck of a lot easier to find good plywood.

+1, as long as you stay clear of extruded plywood, which is similarly brittle.

:):):)
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-10-08 11:00
    Two words: Ply Wood!
    Three words: Never.
    -MattG
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-10-08 11:10
    Also, cast generally has paper backing and extruded generally has plastic baking. Don't know if that is always the case though.
    Cast costs us about a 20% premium, but it's mill-able. Some things that we cut on the laser must be milled after in a second operation - cast can be drilled and tapped (within reason) and the stuff we get (ext or cast) is always paper-faced - but we request it so. Otherwise, the laser melts the poly-plastic cover to the cut piece, and makes it ugly.
    -MattG
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-10-08 11:56
    The little Terasic DE0-Nano FPGA board I got recently has a very smart acrylic plate mounted on it:

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?No=593
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-10-09 11:28
    Even cast acrylic isn't my favorite for building robot bodies. It can be a prodigious collector of of static -- sort of like Kronos, the huge robotic monster from another planet that comes to earth to soak up its energy. However, unlike wood it doesn't need to be sealed to keep out moisture. I never seem to have the patience to spray or brush on the sealant, and wait the 12 hours or whatever for it to completely dry. I want to be building bots!

An alternative to acrylic is fiberglass reinforced plastic, which is more durable and resists breakage. It's not as fun cutting and drilling it, and requires eye and face mask protection. I use a material that accepts printed full color images, which are then routed out (or vice versa, routed then printed). The process is similar to how they colorize surf boards. The 0.090" thickness is pretty good for smaller robots. Larger bots will need thicker plastic, or two plys.

I'm not sure how well FRP laser cuts, not having a laser cutter (boo hoo). It easily withstands 400 degrees, so I imagine it takes a lot of watts to pierce it. Probably better to waterjet it. I don't have one of those, either.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-10-09 11:32
    Oh, and not to knock wood, I'm working on a process to full-color print on that, too. It's a dye-based printing, so it enters the pores of the wood and won't rub off. Erco could add color to his already colorful wood robots.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-10-09 11:45
    I'm not sure how well FRP laser cuts ...
    Poorly, if you're talking about the G10 epoxy/glass variety. The laser melts the edges, leaving a smelly residue and dirty ash. I haven't had much luck laser cutting any reinforced composite materials, although paper/phenolic products like Formica do okay if they're thin enough. But even that leaves an ashy edge that needs to be wiped clean.

BTW, G10 cuts wonderfully on a CNC mill using a router bit designed for printed circuit boards.

My absolute favorite material to laser cut is acetal copolymer (like Delrin). It cuts very cleanly and even smells nice as the laser is slicing through it. But it's not as stiff as acrylic, plywood, or reinforced plastics. So it's less suitable for larger structures.

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-09 15:06
    My absolute favorite material to laser cut is acetal copolymer (like Delrin). It cuts very cleanly and even smells nice as the laser is slicing through it.

Go easy sniffing those melting delrin fumes, pal. I've had a few whiffs of burning delrin (go figure!) and it burns eyes and lungs.

From http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/MSDS/Delrin.pdf :

Heating PTFE above 300 degrees C may liberate a fine particulate
    fume. Inhalation may produce polymer fume fever, a temporary
    flu-like condition with fever, chills, nausea, shortness of
    breath, chest tightness, muscle or joint ache, and sometimes cough
    and elevated white blood cell count. The symptoms are often
    delayed 4 to 24 hours after exposure. These signs are generally
    temporary, lasting 24-48 hours and resolve without further
    complications. However, some individuals with repeated episodes
    of polymer fume fever have reported persistent pulmonary effects.
    Protection against polymer fume fever should also provide
    protection against any potential chronic effects.
    edited 2012-10-09 16:14
    Poorly, if you're talking about the G10 epoxy/glass variety.

It probably isn't the same. The stuff I'm talking about is what they use for shower and bath tub liners. I don't think it's as dense. Often has a "gel" gloss (sometimes matte) coating. One side may be smooth, and you can see the fiberglass bits embedded into the plastic, and the other side may be smooth or rippled. They also may use it for walls in public bathrooms as a substitute for ceramic tile.

I don't like to router fiberglass because the dust contains little itty-bitty pieces of glass ... though I guess that small it's back to being sand.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-10-09 18:19
    I never seem to have the patience to spray or brush on the sealant, and wait the 12 hours or whatever for it to completely dry. I want to be building bots!

I use a water based sanding sealer that takes all of about 20 minutes to dry. I also use Deft clear wood finish in spray can that dries even faster.
    edited 2012-10-09 18:27
    My absolute favorite material to laser cut is acetal copolymer (like Delrin). It cuts very cleanly and even smells nice as the laser is slicing through it.

Are you sure its Delrin? Delrin is absolutely the nastiest thing I have ever cut with my laser. Oh it cuts nicely but if I don't leave the fan running and the lid closed for a couple minutes to evacuate all of the fumes the slightest whiff of it burns the eyes and is sharply painful to the nasal passages.
    edited 2012-10-09 19:10
    Real DelrinTM is an acetal homopolymer. I buy the cheaper stuff: acetal copolymer, which has nearly identical physical characteristics. My laser cutter is fully vented to the outside, and I always have the exhaust fan running while it's in use. Any fumes I smell are incidental, at parts-per-billion levels, and do not pervade my shop at physiologically-significant levels. They do smell good, though, when I open the lid on the laser cutter. Mmmmm! Ketones! :)

-Phil
    edited 2012-10-09 21:58
    Real DelrinTM is an acetal homopolymer.

-Phil

Say what you will, I'm homopolymerphobic.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2015-05-29 18:16
    SparkFun has decommissioned their Magician chassis in favor of a new ABS model. In the promotional video they mention consumers saying the old chassis was brittle. So one less acrylic chassis in the world.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-29 20:08
    An alternative to acrylic is fiberglass reinforced plastic

I know this is an old post but I wonder why you didn't recommend expanded PVC (ePVC)? I know you use it with some of your kits and based on things you've said about ePVC, I decided to try it myself. I really like the stuff.

It does dent easily but I think it's plenty sturdy for most hobby robots. I'm using ePVC (aka foamed PVC) on a treaded robot I'm attempting to make (I know you've already seen this Gordon).

VexTreads130928a.jpg

It took a long time to cut out all those parts so I'm postponing future work until I get my CNC router up and running. The CNC router is taking a while since I'm stubbornly trying to program the controller myself.

But even without a router, the ePVC is really easy to cut. The parts shown above were shaped with a Dremel, belt sander and X-Acto knife. I think ePVC is a lot easier to use than other plastics.

BTW, I have a Magician robot. It's still in pieces (one more piece than the original kit). One of the pieces broke within the first few minutes of beginning to assemble the robot. I think I prefer paper backed foam board over acrylic for building robots.

Edit: Just in case any of you don't already know this, don't cut ePVC (or any other PVC) with a laser (not that I have laser cutter but I've read this warning a bunch of time from reliable sources).
  • Mark_TMark_T Posts: 1,981
    edited 2015-05-30 03:14
    You can't / shouldn't cut PVC (or any halogen containing material) on a laser cutter, because the fumes destroy the cutter and poison any
    humans (HCL, Cl2, and so forth). The reason acrylic is so popular is because it laser cuts extremely well and doesn't clog up filters.

It you want tough then polycarbonate is a good choice, but it doesn't laser cut well at all (I've seen recommendations to cut only
    1mm sheet or thinner) It also has traces of chlorine due to the manufacturing process so proper ventilation is mandatory.

So if you are able to mill, go for polycarbonate, otherwise acrylic / laser plywood. Acrylic can be machined with care, you have
    to avoid overheating it and melting it as well as avoiding mechanic overload. Delrin is great, but expensive and available in
    a more limited colour range.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-05-30 06:29
    Ummm......... masonite is quite handy. In thin thicknesses, I'd prefer it over plywood.
    edited 2015-05-30 10:00
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I know this is an old post but I wonder why you didn't recommend expanded PVC (ePVC)? I know you use it with some of your kits and based on things you've said about ePVC, I decided to try it myself. I really like the stuff.

I mention PVC from time to time, but don't want to be a broken record about it. Sometimes people have a reason for using acrylic, such as intending to laser cut it. Suggesting PVC for users of laser cutters isn't being a good citizen!

One thing often overlooked with expanded PVC is its weight. Polycarbonate, masonite, and other materials are quite dense. They're strong to be sure, but not all small robots require it. You get more play time with a lighter robot. It's a nice solution for lighter robots that don't require their structural strength from the plastic material alone.

I'm impressed with what you were able to do with hand cutting. Those mortise and tenon joints look clever. You'll enjoy doing them with your CNC, though be prepared for some trial and error to get everything to fit. Be sure to get a 1/16" 2- or 4-flute end mill for anything with a tight inside radius. My standard tool bit is 1/8" 2-flute. It's more coarse, but with medium to darker colors, it means the sharf from the plastic is in larger bits. You will rue the day you started cutting light-color PVC with a small diameter 4-flute bit. The dust is finer than sawdust, and definitely not as pleasant.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-05-30 10:26
    I'm impressed with what you were able to do with hand cutting. Those mortise and tenon joints look clever.

Thanks, I learned how to make careful cuts by hand from the Ron Czapala School of Carely Cutting Front Panels by Hand.
    You'll enjoy doing them with your CNC, though be prepared for some trial and error to get everything to fit. Be sure to get a 1/16" 2- or 4-flute end mill for anything with a tight radius. My standard tool bit is 1/8" 2-flute. It's more coarse, but with medium to darker colors, it means the sharf from the plastic is in larger bits. You will rue the day you started cutting light-color PVC with a small diameter 4-flute bit. The dust is finer than sawdust, and definitely not as pleasant.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I have a 1/16" end mill (not with the right sized shaft anyway). I'll order a couple of those.

I'll need to think about what to do about the dust. I know the stuff can get everywhere from my experience of shaping a lot of pieces on a belt sander.
    edited 2015-05-30 14:32
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I'll need to think about what to do about the dust. I know the stuff can get everywhere from my experience of shaping a lot of pieces on a belt sander.

A little vaccum attachment that gors around the bottom of the router is best. I wish I had that, actually, but my CNC is fairly small, and there's not much room. So instead I hold the nozzle from the ShopVac right at the cutting bit. It gets 95% of the dust.

I also recommend a face mask.
    edited 2015-05-30 14:54
    Ummm......... masonite is quite handy. In thin thicknesses, I'd prefer it over plywood.

Up until recently Home Depot carried some very nice 1/8" MDF. Very light colored and laser cut really well - the edge was light brown. Now I am in a bit of a bind trying to find a substitute...
    edited 2015-05-31 09:35
    Martin_H wrote: »
    SparkFun has decommissioned their Magician chassis in favor of a new ABS model. In the promotional video they mention consumers saying the old chassis was brittle. So one less acrylic chassis in the world.

Their new Shadow chassis looks nice. Their gearmotors are also redesigned with an extended motor shaft which can be used for a motor encoder. But IMO it's a shame they stuck with the same 1:48 gear ratio which makes an encoder necessary. Two steps forward, one step back.
    edited 2015-05-31 15:14
    When I need a bit of MDF I use a clipboard from the dollar store. Cut (or break) off the spring-loaded clamp, and it makes for a reasonably nice piece of wood to work with.