Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Please help with BOE — Parallax Forums

Please help with BOE

JesterJester Posts: 3
edited 2012-10-15 12:26 in BASIC Stamp
I just received a BOE bot and am having some issues with running it disconnected from the PC.

I can program it and it will run fine (eg. I can control the servos, get feedback through the debug cammand, etc) if it's connected to the PC with the USB cord.
However, once I disconnect the USB, the program will not run.

Also, the reset button on the board does not appear to do anything, even while connected. For example, if I write the simple "First Program" from the help file:
' {$STAMP BS2}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}

DEBUG "Hello, it's me, your BASIC Stamp!"
END

It will send the message, but if I press the reset button is does not restart the program and send the message again, as it should according to the help file.

The only way I can get a program to start, or restart, is to "run" it from the editor again, or disconnect and reconnect the USB cord while the board is on.

Interestingly, I noticed that I can make a simple program with "GUI Bot" and it work fine - it will run whenever I turn the bot on, even when disconnected.

What am I doing wrong??

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-10-06 07:32
    Delete END.
  • JesterJester Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-07 09:03
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried deleting "END" but it didnt make a difference.
    Without "END" should the program loop itself?

I did discover today that it will run the program (with servos, or otherwise) without the cable, but it has to have been turned off for 5 seconds or so. I guess I had just not left it off long enough when I was trying it before. Is this normal then?

The reset button still doesn't seem to do anything though. Should the program just restart immediately after pressing the reset button?
    I loaded the "MovementWithSubroutines" program from pg 123 of the BOE Bot book for testing. It runs fine. But when I press the reset button while the program is running the servos continue to run through the sequence until the end. I would would have thought it would stop the program, and restart it when I released the button.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-10-07 09:50
    No, it won't LOOP without END (or STOP). It will only loop if it's part of a LOOP.
    END sends the Stamp into a low-power state (but it's supposed to snap out of that with a Reset, afterall.)

There shouldn't be any 5 second warm-up. That's weird.

Maybe you have a bad Reset button. It's been claimed before.
    If you're comfortable doing so, you take a wire that's connected to Vss and carefully touch that to pin 22 of the Stamp itself to effect a "manual" reset.
    If you don't know which is pin 22 then leave it be and contact Customer Service.
  • JesterJester Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-07 12:06
    I will try pin 22 (not today, though).

Thanks for the help.
  • vaclav_salvaclav_sal Posts: 451
    edited 2012-10-15 12:26
    Jester wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I tried deleting "END" but it didnt make a difference.
    Without "END" should the program loop itself?

I did discover today that it will run the program (with servos, or otherwise) without the cable, but it has to have been turned off for 5 seconds or so. I guess I had just not left it off long enough when I was trying it before. Is this normal then?

The reset button still doesn't seem to do anything though. Should the program just restart immediately after pressing the reset button?
    I loaded the "MovementWithSubroutines" program from pg 123 of the BOE Bot book for testing. It runs fine. But when I press the reset button while the program is running the servos continue to run through the sequence until the end. I would would have thought it would stop the program, and restart it when I released the button.
    I do not know about BOE , but RESET is also used as an output from low voltage monitor. If will stay high due to the power supply filter capacitor, if you using one, hence restarting the power may not work within that time. You best bet is to check pin 22, should be around 5 Volts, or just short it to ground with piece of wire. The RESET is internally limited, but ONLY the RESET as far as you are concerned for now.
    You could replace the test wire with couple hundred Ohms ( 220 ) resistor to be safe.