Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Eddie robot : DSS Command Prompt error : "Coulld not start HTTP listener" — Parallax Forums

Eddie robot : DSS Command Prompt error : "Coulld not start HTTP listener"

eddie robot usereddie robot user Posts: 3
edited 2012-10-09 14:08 in Robotics
Following the instructions in the file : ParallaxKitReadMe.html for the eddie robot, I entered the command "KinectUI" in the "DSS Command Prompt" window. The following error message is displayed : "*** Initialization failure : could not start HTTP Listener. The two most common causes of this are : 1) You already have another program listening on the specified port. 2) You do not have permissions to listen to HTTP requests. Use the httpreserve command to run using a non-administrator account. Exception message : Access is denied".

What is an HTTP listener?
How do I determine if I already have another program listening on the specified port?
Which port is the specified port, and where would I find that information?

The httpreserve command requires many parameters, has anyone made this work?

Comments

• Jessica UelmenJessica Uelmen Posts: 490
    edited 2012-10-04 08:31
    Hey eddie robot user,

The first think to check is the version of Kinect for Windows that you have installed. The link on the main page is for version 1.5, but RDS is only operational with 1.0. The link for that download can be found here: Kinect for Windows SDK 1.0.

Let us know if this helps.

-- Jessica
  • eddie robot usereddie robot user Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-04 20:33
    thanks for the reply Jessica,
    You were right, I had the latest version of the Kinect software (1.5). I uninstalled it all and installed 1.0. I still get the same error message.
    Robert
    edited 2012-10-05 09:56
    Okay, next troubleshooting option: did you now rebuild the samples? Programs -> Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 4 -> Build All Samples.

Cheers,
    Jessica
  • eddie robot usereddie robot user Posts: 3
    edited 2012-10-05 11:36
    Ok, I've rebuilt the samples, I received the following warning : "Warning : Silverlight SDK installation not detected".

I still get the same error from the DSS command prompt window.

thanks,
    Robert
    edited 2012-10-08 09:03
    Hi Robert,

That could be the root of the issue. Silverlight should have installed with Visual Studio, however, there are also downloads available here: http://www.silverlight.net/downloads.

The last thing I would check would be to make sure the COM port has been changed in the Serial Communication Service configuration file. Directions for doing so can be found here.

Barring that, I would check with the Microsoft Robotics community. We here at Parallax have a limited working knowledge when troubleshooting RDS, and the software developers are available in that forum to answer more perplexing questions.

Hopefully this helps!

Cheers,
    Jessica
  • TLCTLC Posts: 74
    edited 2012-10-09 14:08
    Hi Robert,

There are a couple of things you can do to troubleshoot this.
    When you start the DSS prompt do you right click and run as administrator?
    Are you familiar with netstat commands at the command prompt? If so you can use the switches to show port and process IDs to see if you have something running on the default port of DSS (50000 and 50001). If there is a process running there and it is not important you can use the process ID (PID) to kill the process.
    I have used the httpreserve command, but I'm not at my "Eddie Computer" so I don't have the syntax.

There is also the easy route and simply specify different ports when you start the DSS host. I commonly use 60000 and 60001 since nothing ever seems to use them.

I actually have written some detailed procedures for this to put under the resources section of my blog. I'll try and get that online this evening and if you are still having problems I'll send you the link.

Todd