Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
3D Spirit Detector - Sound FeedBack ( Halloween Idea ) — Parallax Forums

3D Spirit Detector - Sound FeedBack ( Halloween Idea )

GarethGareth Posts: 278
edited 2012-10-17 02:11 in Robotics
Just when you thought all was safe and you have "Bolted" all the doors.....nails start scratching the glass.........
Spiritdetector_010.jpg

[video=youtube_share;GdS34R1Hwis]

Place an antenna on each sensor and orientate them in the XYZ format
The sensors pick up the slightest disturbance in the "Ether" (Electro Static Charge or ESC or Spirit Realm)
The neat thing is that this disturbance can be plotted or followed in real time.
The Diagram below shows such a plot, i flew a peice of "Depron" into the 3D air pocket.
My Parallax Propeller spits out the "RealTime" XYZ coords onto the serial bus @115200 Baud flawlessly.
I use a Program called "Real Term" to capture this data stream and the end result is plotted with "Rstudio"
plot_zoom_png.png

The second part of the Propellor program monitors 3 ADC channels and the proportional(!) signal is ported to a Harmonization Cog (HC).
The HC basically is a frequency follower, ie it takes the raw ESC signal and "Tunes" it to the nearest tone of a harmonic series, in my case i used a "Tween" of 110Hz
300,410,520,630,740,850,960,1070,1180,1290,1400,15 10,1620,1730
So when all three channels are "Singing" together at least they are almost harmonic "in-Sync" , you will notice this in the video whilst i am playing tunes with my "Spirit Sticks".
500 x 333 - 19K

Comments

• WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2012-10-02 21:48
    Gareth, another really cool and ingenius project! I can foresee many other projects stemming from this concept. It is quite funny to see how sensitive it is while you are trying to make the video. Shold work great for tracking any ghosts floating around!
  • GarethGareth Posts: 278
    edited 2012-10-06 07:46
    It can detect a Ballon @ 4 to 5 meters, however calibration is a little "Rubbery" .......
    I am itching to attach it to front of small robot as a feeler type sensor..... it should be able to detect walls (sooner rather than later :-)...... (its on todo list)
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,558
    edited 2012-10-06 09:08
    " ... calibration is a little "Rubbery" " - wonder if you had a second xyz sensor and you took a differential reading between the two ... You might be able to detect the direction of motion.

As far as the sensor goes, I have done something similar using a 6 inch piece of wire connected to one of the six inputs of a 74HC14 ... the corresponding output of the 74HC14 connected to an LED... I could be 10 feet away and move nothing more than my big toe inside of my shoe and get an ON/OFF reaction of the LED. Never was I able to quantify it the way you have though. Great Job!!
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-10-06 20:33
    This is interesting. Can this detect other material? A hand, or a piece of metal, or a wood?

Is the electro static charge the same thing as capacitive sensing?
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-10-09 09:48
    Awesome. If I were a poltergeist, I know I'd be messing with this thing day and night.
    edited 2012-10-11 13:04
    " I could be 10 feet away and move nothing more than my big toe inside of my shoe ..
    Indeed its frightening how much static the body can generate.
    I am considering placing a single sensor next to my soldering work bench mat - for pre_warning if the static levels are critical or not....

Its ironic that the 74H series are particularly sensitive to static - i can remember once making a 74H oscillator circuit circuit wired to some headphones and blasting the chip with a piezo lighter element ...... the frequency changed once or twice......before pushing up the daisy's
    edited 2012-10-11 13:13
    This is interesting. Can this detect other material? A hand, or a piece of metal, or a wood?

Is the electro static charge the same thing as capacitive sensing?

It can detect anything that will store Static..... ie insulators rather than conductors .... polystyrene/depron is very good... metals are useless.
    I have used "Pipe cleaners" as the antennae (they have inner metal core with poly(something or other) fibres so work well as one part of a charge plate.

As far as i can gather it works the same as plate charge on a capacitive plane..... however with more directional qualities.
    edited 2012-10-11 13:16
    Awesome. If I were a poltergeist, I know I'd be messing with this thing day and night.
    Unfortunately i tend to agree with you...... "better the devil you know than the devil you dont" ;-)
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-10-17 02:11
    Really great project! Ok, classical music now. (after Halloween) :)
    For future expansion, use a tiny 3D keyboard for playing 3D music like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAtaa5Rj7bU&feature=player_embedded