Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
figuring out humidity and tempertaure — Parallax Forums

figuring out humidity and tempertaure

SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
edited 2012-10-01 17:15 in BASIC Stamp
I am trying to figure out humidity and temperature in my basement now using basic stamp. Now the question is if i got these to sensors how i will calibrate it is there a way to calibrate it using stamp. Or i can get it from some one and throw some data into the stamp.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-09-29 18:57
    if i got these to sensors

Which sensors?
  • SandhuamarinderSandhuamarinder Posts: 85
    edited 2012-09-29 19:20
    There is sensor available for humidity and thermocouple for temperature k.J type etc.
    So just wondering Sir do i need to calibrate it if yes then how.
    Just trying to figure out basement temperature since it gets pretty humid after bath shower.

Here is one

http://www.hwsensor.com/English/Humidity-Sensor/gas201112890902.shtml

but i havent looked into any no specialization i just need more accuracy then which are sitting on ebay and on amazon .Does not look good looking into people reviews any idea

And place where i can buy more accurate humidity sensor. I will probably need further help also later in programing.

Its been while for me to get back to things.

Out from school from while almost 2 years now.

Thanks
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-09-29 21:00
    I haven't used the sensor you linked to. It looks like it just requires an analog to digital converter chip to use with a Basic Stamp (or other microcontroller). I don't know if it needs to be calibrated.

I have used the Sensirion sensor. It does not need calibration and works very well. It does require some complex mathematics which I'm not sure if the Basic Stamp could handle. I've only used it with a Propeller microcontroller myself.

Where you hoping to use a sensor with a Basic Stamp or did you have some other microcontroller in mind?
  • Prophead100Prophead100 Posts: 192
    edited 2012-09-29 22:38
    I just used the DHT21 with a Propeller to do what your thinking about for basic temp and humidity. Simple, cheap and pre-calibrated. The DHT is not quite as nice as the Sensiron though. Not sure if the basic stamp could handle the timing or not. There are Objects (code) for these one the OBEX for the propeller and a propeller protoboard is only ~25. If you can get the sensors going properly according to the datasheets then really our looking at matching results to some known standard to calibrate it. That can take time.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2012-09-29 22:49
    The Sensirion SHT11 and SHT15 work fantastic with the stamp. I can't get my nook to paste the url, but do a forum search for "stamp sensirion wba" and a few down in the list you see a thread about distance with the sensirion and stamp. Post #2 on that thread has links to another thread of mine zbout using a stamp and sensirion as well as a link to my website for my Sensirion module that has lots of details for the Sensirion SHT11 with the stamp. The Parallax product page for their Sensiron SHT11 module also has demo code for the stamp.(i believe)
    edited 2012-09-30 08:59
    Looks like SHT11 can be used for both temperature and humidity. So do i need to buy any other equipment since i have 2 basic stamps sitting at home.
    Thanks for the help.

So now question is where i can buy this sensor. Looking at the parallax website its pretty expensive. I am looking for cheaper price some where.

Any place on the website.

can i buy it from sensirion website.
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 217
    edited 2012-09-30 09:41
    If you don't want to pay 43 bucks for a single humidy/temp device, then get the lm34 or the ds1620 (this is the one I use) since they're 7 and 6 dollars respectively.
    The lm34 is probably a better fit for what you want to do, since the ds1620 has additional features perfectly suited to using it as a thermostat.
    Then, for humidity, get the hs1101 for 9 bucks, and poof, less than 20 bucks, some programming, and you have exactly what you're after, humidity and temperature, and no calibration necessary.
    Parallax has documentation on both of these devices, and I've found their docs to be excellent (for the most part) so you should have no trouble building your sensor pack.
    edited 2012-09-30 09:59
    Thanks for the help.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2012-09-30 10:52
    Allelectonics currently has SHT-15 sensors mounted on a ribbon for $10.

You can find more about interfacing it to the BS2 for temperature and humidity on my web site here.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,934
    edited 2012-09-30 22:45
    Tracy, nice deal on those since the SHT15 street price is 3+ times more!

Sandhuamarinder, The SHT15 in Tracy's link is an excellent deal and appears to be the best option at hand.

If you are able to wait a while, I will have another batch of my modules in a few weeks as I will have some excess from a commercial order (I round up to save costs and then sell the extras). The SHT11 modules are $18 and the SHT15 modules are $28 (that includes shipping). I will have some of each.
    edited 2012-10-01 17:15
    thanks every one for the help i might go with the different one available on parallax website

Since i dont wants to connect my furnace and air conditioner with it.

Thanks