Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Infrared line follower kit with height adjustment, for the stingray — Parallax Forums

Infrared line follower kit with height adjustment, for the stingray

TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
edited 2012-09-28 20:03 in Robotics
The Infrared line follower kit works great on the StingRay chassis, Except for not being height adjustable.
Ground clearance can be a problem on asphalt and rough concrete surfaces...
So I built this "Factory Specification Override Ground Clearance Adjustment System". or FSOGCAS for short.
Ya, I could prolly do better with the name, but here it is anyway, Call it what you will...:smile:
StingRay IR line sensor.jpg

It's simple to adjust the height of the Sensor by turning the threaded rod into the threaded coupler,
This will move the Sensor up or down 5/8" as needed. After adjusting, tighten the lock nut to the coupler.
The Pen Springs give plenty of shock absorbing action, yet keep the Sensor level to the ground...

Here is a wider angle shot...
StingRay Insides.jpg

I love how much space is inside of the StingRay, Lots of Real Estate to work with.
Note the ample room around the motor area. Plenty of room for just about any size encoder...:coffee:

Anyways, I was just wanting to show off my new StingRay Robot, It's a nice machine, Great job Parallax!...:thumb::thumb:

-Tommy
1024 x 768 - 102K
1024 x 686 - 107K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-09-27 23:26
    Perfect timing, Tommy! I just had my brand new, unassembled Stingray kit open tonight, sizing it up for higher ratio gearmotors. You going back for more Parallax line following fun, eh? IMHO that's def worth considering after my motors arrive. It ain't about speed, it's about control!

You got yer Stingray doing ovals and Figure 8s yet, Pal? You know I'm gonna play that card.

PS: My unassembled Stingray kit sits right next to my unopened ELEV-8 and my unassembled Budget Robotics "Ardbot" kit from Gordon. So many bots, so little time!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-09-28 20:03
    Oh ya, it's all about the Line following fun, This time I hope to be a little more prepared for the course.

I have to admit, I bought the StingRay because of its speed. Six feet per second is fast...:thumb::thumb:
    As far as control, I have faith in MattG and his Cohorts, they will tame this wild encoderless beast...Soon...:coffee:

Again, I gotta say what a nicely done machine the StingRay is,
    Believe it or not erco, There are some things that can't be done with a Skil Saw. :smile:

Here is a better photo showing more detail of the Adjustment assembly...
    IR board mounting hrdwre.jpg

Hope it works for you.

-Tommy
    1024 x 507 - 116K