Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Setup Question — Parallax Forums

XBee Setup Question

NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
edited 2012-09-27 18:15 in Accessories
I have 2 Ea. XBee's that have the mini antenna on them. I also have 2 Ea. Sparkfun Breakout Boards which at this point only allow for me to connect them to a Bread Board. My question is, can I connect them to a breadboard and use my Quick Start for one and be able to communicate back and forth or do I need additional hardware. I would like to try and avoid buying anything else so if there is a way to do this with my own power, transistors, resistors and what ever else I need I would like to go that route instead of buying the Adapter Board or SIP Adapter. I tried a Google search but have not had any luck in finding any schematics on how to go about this.

Comments

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-09-27 17:26
    You only need to connect Power, Gnd, Dout and Din. You can tie the Dout to Din on the remote XBee so that it will loop back whatever you sent to it.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-09-27 18:01
    OK, So is there a Schematic somewhere that I can view so I do not mess anything up? Also, Do I use external Power or will the power from the QS board run the one that is connected to that?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-09-27 18:15
    Doesn't the breakout board you are using have the pins labeled on them?

XBees require 3.3V and about 50 mA for the 1mW and 215 mA for the 60 mW version. The Quickstart has a 500 mA regulator so it ought to be enough for either version.