Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MPU6050 and/or FreeIMU Sensor Appliction — Parallax Forums

MPU6050 and/or FreeIMU Sensor Appliction

StephenMooreStephenMoore Posts: 188
edited 2012-09-27 01:14 in Accessories
Has anyone developed a program with this 9 axis IMU unit? The FreeIMU developer has a bunch of C++ and Arduino code and I am considering developing a Spin program version of it but did not want to completely reinvent the wheel.

Surprisingly I found nothing in either the OBEX search or the Forum search BUT Google yielded the following link!

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131022-Propeller-DCM-Now-with-source/page2

G
o figure.

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-09-26 00:41
    That code appears to interface only to the accel/gyro measurements. Which is nice, but not why you buy the MPU-60X0. You buy it for the Motion Processing UnitTM, and that's closed source. If you look around, you'll see that they do a very good job of not releasing the necessary information to make the most use out of the chip.

My opinion: stay away from the MPU-60X0: it will eat up your time and energy, and throw back the bones.
  • StephenMooreStephenMoore Posts: 188
    edited 2012-09-26 19:19
    hmm... a cautionary note to be sure, how pretty that path of primroses be.

There does exist a group of AVR users that have elevated the flyduino to great heights while under control of the FreeIMU.

Is there a comparable chip that anyone has exploited effectively in the Propeller world?
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-09-27 01:14
    If you're looking for the raw accl/gyro/magn readings, then there is a multitude of chips to choose from based on your specifications. ST, Analog Devices, Honeywell, PNI, and Freescale all make MEMS sensors. Take your pick.

If you're looking for a complete IMU chip with hardware orientation estimation, then be prepared to wait or pay a small fortune.