Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Plywood Prop Boe Bot, or why did I make this? — Parallax Forums

Plywood Prop Boe Bot, or why did I make this?

Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
edited 2012-09-25 08:23 in Robotics
So I had some hobby plywood and other odds and ends. One thing leads to another and I built a robot. Here's a picture :

IMG_20120923_151746.jpg

Here's the back :

IMG_20120923_155601.jpg
1024 x 768 - 54K
1024 x 768 - 57K

Comments

• TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2012-09-23 14:13
    Because, we can...:thumb::thumb:

Nice work Martin, What did you use to cut all the slots?

-Tommy
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-09-23 14:19
    IMO, it's beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.

I do think it deserves a better quality photo than the second photo you posted.

Do you have the outlines in a digital format?

It would probably be a nice starting point for others wanting to make small wooden bots.
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2012-09-23 14:39
    Why did I make this?

Sounds like you caught something contagious from ERCO.

It is a very nice looking Bot.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-09-23 14:48
    Tommy, I used my scroll saw as described below.

Duane, it turns out that Parallax has a measured drawing of the Boe Bot chassis:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Components/Hardware/tabid/156/ProductID/267/List/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

So inspiration struck. What if I printed the drawing making sure that it was to scale? I then used some adhesive spray and adhered it to the plywood. I cut it out using my scroll, drilled the holes with my drill press, and cut the slots using the scroll saw. I then glued it together and finished it with varnish. The tail wheel is plywood circles glued together on an aluminum axle.

It took several hours start to finish and Parallax is in no danger from a wave of homemade chassis. The sane thing is purchasing the aluminum original, but I was curious if I could do it.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2012-09-23 14:49
    Why did I make this?

Because you could ... And it's WOOD!!!!

Nicely done!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2012-09-23 18:26
    Great find on the chassis dimensions.

The Wooden BoeBot is a beauty! erco will love it.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-09-23 20:26
    "It's the wood that makes it good." NEWMAN, Seinfeld

Great work as always, Martin_H !
    edited 2012-09-24 18:31
    @All, thanks for the kudos.

I didn't like how the tail wheel turned out, so on the way home from work I stopped by the craft store, and bought a hardwood ball about an inch in diameter. A bit of work on the drill press yielded a suitable wooden Boe bot tail wheel. I then trimmed the axel a bit to make it look better and put a blob of silver solder on on end. I also attached a sensor I plan to use in my first project. Here's some pictures:

IMG_20120924_212053.jpg
    IMG_20120924_212039.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 60K
    1024 x 768 - 47K
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2012-09-24 20:59
    Very impressive! I freaking love it. That's a very nice bit of work.
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2012-09-24 21:18
    I like it so much I'm going to buy a scroll saw. How did you attach the tail wheel?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-09-24 21:23
    I concur, Doctor. A wooden robot certainly needs wooden wheels. Just ask my bot Woodrow!
    816 x 612 - 71K
    edited 2012-09-25 06:34
    lardom wrote: »
    I like it so much I'm going to buy a scroll saw. How did you attach the tail wheel?

Larry, the wheel is where I diverged from the aluminum original. The original Boe-bot chassis has aluminum 90 bent degrees and drilled holes through for the axle. While I might have been able to cut and glue wooden bits to do that, they likely would have been much larger to be durable because wood isn't as tough as aluminum. But I have some narrow aluminum tube I use to make standoffs. So I took my pipe cutter and cut two roughly 1/4" sections which I epoxied in place with the axle threaded through them. I eyeballed it against a table right angle to make sure the whole thing was square to the frame. Once I drilled out the ball I could then thread the axle through it and the aluminum tube sections. The axle is just a small metal rod I salvaged from a kids toy, but a cotter pin would work too.

Also, a scroll saw is a great wood working tool and worth the modest investment (compared to a table saw). I find a lot of uses for mine. The blade has a tendency to wander slightly so up close it's obvious the the slots were cut by hand, but a few feet away the irregularities aren't noticeable. You also get better with more frequent use.
    erco wrote: »
    I concur, Doctor. A wooden robot certainly needs wooden wheels. Just ask my bot Woodrow!

Erco, Woodrow's wooden wheels are great. I was really tempted to make wooden side wheels, but getting wheels both round and concentric to high tolerances is no easy task. The hole in my tail wheel is every so slightly off center and the wheel wobbles a bit. Add in two off center side wheels and it would look pretty crazy.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-09-25 07:10
    Martin,
    Did you make patterns to cut out the wood or did you just printed out the PDF? I have a fellow Propeller User nearby that has a Laser Cutter so if I had the plans I may have him do an acrylic BoeBot Body :)
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-09-25 07:13
    Martin,

The wooden tail wheel looks great.

When you cut the main body out on your scroll saw, did you use a piece of sacrificial wood under your plywood?

I find my plywood has very jagged edges unless I use a layer of sacrificial wood with my scroll saw. I'd love to hear any tricks you might know about getting clean cuts with a scroll saw.
    edited 2012-09-25 07:34
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    The wooden tail wheel looks great.

When you cut the main body out on your scroll saw, did you use a piece of sacrificial wood under your plywood?

Thanks Duane. I should have, but didn't. I did get some tear out, and got more drilling the starter holes than the scroll saw cutting. I use a fine blade which helps reduce tear out, but I put the bad side of all pieces facing inward so it isn't visible.

Next time I plan to use the spray adhesive and put a piece of backing paper on the other side of the plywood. I'm hoping that will reduce or prevent tear out.
    blittled wrote: »
    Did you make patterns to cut out the wood or did you just printed out the PDF?

I just printed out the PDF to scale and used the spray adhesive to glue it to the plywood.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2012-09-25 07:52
    Fantastic Martin! Add a little bit of SeaFin Teak Oil, and it'll really make the grain *pop*...
    -MattG
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-09-25 08:23
    Thanks Martin. I just realize I have a scroll saw collecting dust..DUH :). I may just copy what you did although I may have to take a little time to get back up to speed on using it.