Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Robot Tuna — Parallax Forums

New Robot Tuna

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2012-09-21 18:35 in Robotics
http://news.yahoo.com/robot-tuna-joins-homeland-security-arsenal-210245075.html?_esi=1

Maybe it is time for an underwater Parallax robot. A fish powered by a Propeller??

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-09-21 13:59
    Great idea and we're interested, Robert. I've seen some impressive underwater robot programs recently (like MATE) at the Maker Faire and it's clear that many robots are moving towards the sky, space, water, underwater and underground.

You know about my next project that I really want to get started - a GPS guided 4'x5' cataract that will cross Lake Tahoe (21 miles) on solar power. Lake Tahoe is a very popular research location due to the oligotrophic water quality, 1600' depth, and archaeological history. It's been a frustrating start to on this project, but I'm getting closer to actually doing some fabrication. My first chassis was too large with two 10" diameter tubes and nine feet on the water. Then Phil Pilgrim showed me a few alternatives with ABS pipe and crab put bobs. Heck, we even went to a marine store in Port Townsend to look for parts we could turn into something else. Now, I've just about got a design I'd like to build and I'll even be using a MakerBot for some of the parts. I might tie the efforts in with the middle and high school robotics program.

Tangent response, I know.

I'm also interested in water-based robotics.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,129
    edited 2012-09-21 14:07
    Thanks for the update on that Ken. I was wondering how the project was going.

Amanda
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-09-21 14:43
    Ken, have you seen this Brit Robin Lovelock, who's hellbent on a robot sailboat crossing the Atlantic? He's using a PicAxe, maybe a Prop could get the job done quicker!

http://www.gpss.force9.co.uk/autop.htm
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2012-09-21 18:35
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I'm also interested in water-based robotics.

Me too. I recently got a side scan sonar for my boat. I frequently find myself planning an autonomous SAR or mapping robot (ROV).