Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Acitivy Kit [90005] Upgrade Stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Acitivy Kit [90005] Upgrade Stamp 2

PRPROG01PRPROG01 Posts: 28
edited 2012-10-02 14:24 in BASIC Stamp
I and having a great learning experience with my Basic Stamp Acitivy Kit. I have design and built a MIDI controller (percussion) instrument. Results are very good, but since I kept adding capabilities to the project the response/speed (in musical terms) of the MIDI controller had being reduce. I will like to have more processing speed in this project. Which Stamp can be used on this same Basic Stamp Acitivy Kit [90005] board that is more faster than my current Stamp II.? Hopefully it will be pin conpatible and used PBASIC.

Thanks,
PRPROG

Comments

• RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-09-21 10:21
    Actually, the Basic Stamp 2 components are soldered to the Homework Board that comes with the Activity Kit. It would be a lot of trouble to try and upgrade, if it's even possible. However, you could get a Basic Stamp 2 Carrier Board (low cost) or Board of Education and add any of the Basic Stamp 2 modules to that.
  • PRPROG01PRPROG01 Posts: 28
    edited 2012-09-21 10:39
    RDL2004 wrote: »
    Actually, the Basic Stamp 2 components are soldered to the Homework Board that comes with the Activity Kit. It would be a lot of trouble to try and upgrade, if it's even possible. However, you could get a Basic Stamp 2 Carrier Board (low cost) or Board of Education and add any of the Basic Stamp 2 modules to that.

Thanks a lot for the reply. Ok , lets say I get the Basic Stamp 2 Carrier Board, is this just a "plug and use" thing?.....I meant the Basic Stamp 2 module contain the 5v regulator.. Right? No additional circuit to add?

Which Stamp II run faster that my current Basic Stamp Homework Board?

Thanks,
    PRPROG
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-09-21 11:11
    PRPROG01 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Ok , lets say I get the Basic Stamp 2 Carrier Board, is this just a "plug and use" thing?.....I meant the Basic Stamp 2 module contain the 5v regulator.. Right? No additional circuit to add?

Which Stamp II run faster that my current Basic Stamp Homework Board?

Thanks,

The Parallax Basic 2px is the fastest.

MIDI only runs at 31.25kBaud and can be handled by the BS2.

Are there other aspects that need faster processing?
    edited 2012-09-21 11:31
    Publison wrote: »
    The Parallax Basic 2px is the fastest.

MIDI only runs at 31.25kBaud and can be handled by the BS2.

Are there other aspects that need faster processing?

MIDI transmission is not the problem. Reading various piezo sensors, reading ADC values and reading capacitance sensors is what is creating the need for faster processing.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-09-21 12:04
    A Basic Stamp can only process one thing at a time so I am not sure upping the speed will help.
    edited 2012-09-21 12:36
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    A Basic Stamp can only process one thing at a time so I am not sure upping the speed will help.

That is a very good point and comment. But doing a few things very fast can seem to happen simultaneously...at least for a micro...... I started the project with that question in mind right from the start. So far I had good results if the number of inputs read are kept at a minimun. I think that getting more processing speed will allow better results.

Thanks,
    edited 2012-09-21 13:11
    That is a very good point and comment. But doing a few things very fast can seem to happen simultaneously...at least for a micro...... I started the project with that question in mind right from the start. So far I had good results if the number of inputs read are kept at a minimun. I think that getting more processing speed will allow better results.

Thanks,

Maybe a little more information on the project will get you a better answer.
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2012-09-21 16:30
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Ok , lets say I get the Basic Stamp 2 Carrier Board, is this just a "plug and use" thing? I meant the Basic Stamp 2 module contain the 5v regulator.. Right?

I think that the "Super Carrier", though more expensive than the "Carrier", is the best value.
    http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/122/Default.aspx?txtSearch=super+carrier

Any Stamp's own ("on-Stamp") regulator is basically for its own use - it doesn't have a lot of current ("power") to spare.
    The Super Carrier's on-board regulator provides a "hefty" 5V source for your other devices.
    If you look at the "SC" schematic you'll see that the Stamp's "Vin" pin is not connected, the Stamp there gets powered by that bigger on-board regulator.
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/supercarrierbd.pdf
    However, with the BS2 Carrier, the Stamp runs from its "Vin" pin (leaded to the battery terminals.)
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/boards/BS2CarrierBdSchem.pdf

It stands to reason that the quicker you can accomplish a task, as practicable, the quicker you can go on to another (such was the beauty of the SX.)
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-09-22 02:00
    I completely forgot about the Super Carrier Board when I made my original post. I agree with PJ Allen that it is the best overall value.You don't get as much prototyping area, but the addition of the DC power jack and regulator is well worth the extra cost. 9 volt batteries are a very poor choice for a power source.
    edited 2012-10-01 10:43
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    I think that the "Super Carrier", though more expensive than the "Carrier", is the best value.
    http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/122/Default.aspx?txtSearch=super+carrier

Any Stamp's own ("on-Stamp") regulator is basically for its own use - it doesn't have a lot of current ("power") to spare.
    The Super Carrier's on-board regulator provides a "hefty" 5V source for your other devices.
    If you look at the "SC" schematic you'll see that the Stamp's "Vin" pin is not connected, the Stamp there gets powered by that bigger on-board regulator.
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/schem/supercarrierbd.pdf
    However, with the BS2 Carrier, the Stamp runs from its "Vin" pin (leaded to the battery terminals.)
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/boards/BS2CarrierBdSchem.pdf

It stands to reason that the quicker you can accomplish a task, as practicable, the quicker you can go on to another (such was the beauty of the SX.)

Thanks a lot to ALL for the replies.
    OK - let me planned for this - I get the Super Carrier Board + the Basic Stamp 2PX - will my current BSII projects can be migrate to this new stamp? Are these 2 stamps pin compatible? Will the same PBASIC program run as is, without change?

Thanks,
    PRPROG
    edited 2012-10-01 11:05
    Thanks a lot to ALL for the replies.
    OK - let me planned for this - I get the Super Carrier Board + the Basic Stamp 2PX - will my current BSII projects can be migrate to this new stamp? Are these 2 stamps pin compatible? Will the same PBASIC program run as is, without change?

Thanks,
    PRPROG

Pin compatible-YES

Without Change?-Probable not if you are using SERIN-SEROUT, PWM, and such. The timing is faster on the BS2-PX. See the data sheet here.

The changes in the serial command syntax is covered in Manual 2.2 starting on page 393.

Tracy has put a lot of information on his website. There are some timing comparisons in there.

Tracy talks about some of the timing differences between the chip. This was before the BS2-PX came out.
    edited 2012-10-02 06:31
    Pin compatible-YES

Without Change?-Probable not if you are using SERIN-SEROUT, PWM, and such. The timing is faster on the BS2-PX. See the data sheet here.

The changes in the serial command syntax is covered in Manual 2.2 starting on page 393.

Tracy has put a lot of information on his website. There are some timing comparisons in there.

Tracy talks about some of the timing differences between the chip. This was before the BS2-PX came out.

Great.
    I am transmitting MIDI, via SEROUT. I am using MidiBaud CON $8000 + 12 on the Stamo II. [MIDI runs at 31250]
    I read the manual for the SEROUT and honestly did not understood what the MidiBaud constant will be for the BS2-PX?

I will need some assistance on determinning the values for a MIDI serial out on the BS2-PX.

Thanks,
    PRPROG
    edited 2012-10-02 07:12
    Great.
    I am transmitting MIDI, via SEROUT. I am using MidiBaud CON $8000 + 12 on the Stamo II. [MIDI runs at 31250]
    I read the manual for the SEROUT and honestly did not understood what the MidiBaud constant will be for the BS2-PX?

I will need some assistance on determinning the values for a MIDI serial out on the BS2-PX.

Thanks,
    PRPROG

On the bottom of page 418 of the Manual (Ver 2.2), the is a chart on how to determine the number. Baudmode for the BS2px is calculated
    INT=(4,000,000 / Baud Rate) -20
    INT=(4,000,000/31250)-20   = 108

Since MIDI normally runs in the "Open" mode we add 32768 (step 4.) That's decimal. It converts to $8000 in hex. So you could use:

MidiBaud CON $8000 + 108

Hope that helps.
    edited 2012-10-02 08:09
    On the bottom of page 418 of the Manual (Ver 2.2), the is a chart on how to determine the number. Baudmode for the BS2px is calculated
    INT=(4,000,000 / Baud Rate) -20
    INT=(4,000,000/31250)-20   = 108

Since MIDI normally runs in the "Open" mode we add 32768 (step 4.) That's decimal. It converts to $8000 in hex. So you could use:

MidiBaud CON $8000 + 108

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot !!!
    I will considered to upgrade from the STAMP II to the BS2px.
    I will change the MidiBaud constant using the values provided.
    Thanks a lot,
    PRPROG
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-10-02 08:34
    Publison, you aiiight in my book. :)
    edited 2012-10-02 09:27
    erco wrote: »
    Publison, you aiiight in my book. :)

I did good? :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-10-02 14:24
    You done good. Always ready to help. You da man. We need more guys like you!

Can I borrow $20? :)