Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to communicate with the eddie control board wirelessly? — Parallax Forums

How to communicate with the eddie control board wirelessly?

u.asifu.asif Posts: 21
edited 2012-09-21 23:13 in Robotics
Hi,
Is it possible to communicate with the eddie control board wirelessly, maybe using Parallax Easy Bluetooth module (http://www.parallax.com/tabid/768/ProductID/550/Default.aspx) or any other?

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-09-20 00:34
    Here's a thread about using Wixels with the Propeller.

I don't know how the PC and Eddie control board communicate, but if the baud could be set at 115,200bps, then I'd think you should be able to replace the wired connection with a pair of Wixels.

One of the nice thing about the Wixels is they can be used to program Propeller boards as well as being used as a communication link between PC and Prop.
  • u.asifu.asif Posts: 21
    edited 2012-09-20 08:02
    Thanks Duane for a quick solution. Is there any plug & play solution available. Actually, my aim is not to program the propeller chip but to send commands only using serial interface/port. That wixels solution looks promising but requires prototyping with some electronics involve however due to strict time constraints I require a plug & play sort of solution of available. Could there be a way to interface that "Parallax easy bluetooth module" or BlueSmirf with eddie control board?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • Mike4421Mike4421 Posts: 131
    edited 2012-09-21 16:13
    @ u.asif

you may want to try using an "eb301" or "eb500" from Ebay if you can find them; there should be some around... then follow this link to setup your device and software... after that your going to have to do some "proto" work. Its a proven bluetooth solution, just find how to re-pin or add extra code for you setup.... remember buletooth is not long rage like those hobby airplane remote's

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138582-BoeBot-Connection-to-MSRD-R3-R4

PS; on the You Tube channel, theres a Propeller "Quick Start" board setup running, please refer to that video for Propeller info, but the setup on MSRDS is the same.

EDIT:... heres the Proller Forums Link for the MSRDS code for the Propeller

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?140007-Propeller-(Quick-Start-Board)-working-with-MSRDS

make sure you load ALL the files to the Propeller chip (compiller) for the code to run, and keep an eye on your power supply; make sure it proper for your project.
  • u.asifu.asif Posts: 21
    edited 2012-09-21 21:00
    Thanks Mike for your suggestions.
    As you can see form the figures below, the RX,TX terminals of the propeller chip are connected to the usb interface. So, how can I get an access to the RX,TX terminals to connect a bluetooth modem module. I have attached some schematics for reference. Pelase advise. Thanks

control board.jpg
    propeller_usb_schematics.jpg
    propeller_schematic.jpg
    547 x 640 - 129K
    855 x 417 - 93K
    753 x 878 - 155K
    edited 2012-09-21 22:31
    this is were the Proto-work starts.....

I don't have an Eddie Robot yet... I really, really want one... (need to Nerd out my man cave more).... so I cant give you advise on what to do.

There are TWO things that have to be done, They look simple but they are not, and time consumming....

generally

1. connect the Bluetooth to the Eddie board.
    - if those Digital I/O's are not used for anything (which I doubt) try the simple direct MSRDS schematic connections on the file, and add the code to the Eddie Propeller code.
    - if those Digital I/O's ARE used for the Eddie setup, you will need to ADD more code and/or a way to get around this and add more code to the Eddie Propeller code. (More work)

2. You will have to ADD the Bluetooth services to the Eddie services on MSRDS
    - this can be a world on its own, you can get help on this topic on the MSRDS forums on how to add/change the MSRDS Eddie code with the Bluetooth code

I know that this is too general.................... but I want to remind you, that most of us guys and gals who work on these kinds of projects; work on New, unexplored, and Time cosumming projects that have no real off the shelf, go to the local book store, answers.... you ARE making the answers. The guys and gals here at the Parallax Forums are great and know alot, and can help you on your project, but most of it will have to be done on your own part..... if you get stuck please continue to stride for the stars..:smile:
    edited 2012-09-21 23:13
    For the Bluetooth Part.....from the schimatic I see that the "Dedicated" Tx/Rx go to PIN 30 and 31 on the Propeller chip... this just means its the default setup on the hardware and on the Propeller code.... it does'nt mean its the ONLY way to get an Tx/Rx connection.

If you decide to use the MSRDS code for the propeller; note that by default you will need Pin0 Pin1 for Tx/Rx communication and Pin5 for the "Status"...... this will be very simple if those "Digital I/Os" are not used by the Eddie setup, if they are used; you will have to change not only the physical connection but also the software Pin #s

This Bluetooth code will also have to be changed to use the Motor Pins on the Eddie Code (example... say motor1 uses Pin7 and motor2 uses Pin13... change those motor pins to where the default motor Pins are.... but I dont know if it iterferes with the Eddie motors because the default BOE-Bot uses SERVO Motors..... its those kind of things that require R/D), and added to the Eddie Propeller code; I haven't seen the Eddie code yet, and there can be a number of diffirent setups on locations (like wich cog to use), how, why, etc...... I'm new to propeller, but I'm sure the Propeller Pro's here at the forums can help you on that.

On the MSRDS side; those bluetooth services will have to be added to the Eddie Services... getting help at the MSRDS Forums or here.... you can try using VPL for a quick trail and error on the Eddie services.... You can start simple, dont plug anything complicated like the Kinect if you can... just Rewire the Bluethooth services to the motors in VPL or just try the simple Manifest edditor; make the nesecery Pin changes if not useing the defaul pin, then run it on the manifest editor and if they move the Eddie motors then, the next step is to add this code to the existing Eddie code on the Propeller and on MSRDS.......... I hope this helps you getting started..... I would like to help out more, but I dont have an Eddie and my free time will gone perty soon with work and all....

Cheers.