Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2, BS2 Carrier Board, SoundPAL, PIR, and a PowerTwig to the rescue. — Parallax Forums

BS2, BS2 Carrier Board, SoundPAL, PIR, and a PowerTwig to the rescue.

TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
edited 2012-09-16 12:09 in Robotics
I have a small garden pond with some pet Koi fish, Problem is, it's a Varmint magnet.
Every night we get visits from half a dozen different animals trying to get dinner. Mostly Ferral Cats.
I have Cat and Apossum protection built into the banks of the pond, so they aren't so bad,
It's the :swear: Raccoons that do the most damage, They are smarter then your average bear..
One in particular has found a way thru the defenses, and managed to pull some scales
off of one our prize Koi, Not Cool!

Anyway, I needed something that could detect a small heat source, then make an appropriate sound
To scare away the nasty creatures that would eat said pet fish... So I made this thing...
H_R_S.jpg

Using this stuff... (It's no mystery from what bag these parts came in..);)
BS2
BS2 Carrier Board
Photoresistor and associated RC components, (it only needs to run at night..)
PIR sensor
SoundPAL
and WBA's super slim, high powered, ultra sleek, and really cool PowerTwig 800mA voltage regulator.
H_R_S parts.jpg

I stuffed all the parts into a "TupperWare" weather resistant container, added a little sealant...
HabitatRelocationSystem.jpg

And now I have a rough and ready "Habitat Relocation System", Able to scatter even the most stubborn pests.

I have a few improvements in mind, like maybe a small vibrating motor slapping the container side,
and some flashing Red/Green Led "eyes" to help increase the sense of urgency, and panic...O_o

I had fun building the H_R_S, Thanks Parallax!

-Tommy
1024 x 768 - 51K
1024 x 768 - 170K
1024 x 768 - 109K

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-09-16 07:34
    Yeah, I thought it would cool to use all the mystery bag parts in one project and Tommy beat me to it!
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-09-16 10:17
    What is the silver cone looking thing in the first image. It appears to be where the on/off switch is so I guessed it may be a cover for the switch. Am I close?

BTW - great project!
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-09-16 12:09
    Great use of available parts to solve a problem. McGyver has nothing on you.