Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MoBo Power Board won't work with my spinneret — Parallax Forums

MoBo Power Board won't work with my spinneret

ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
edited 2012-09-12 17:55 in Accessories
Hi

I just got a MoBo Power Board for my Spinneret. I looked at all of the documentation and it should have worked, but I could only get power to go to either just the 3 pin headers with the jumpers like this:
- and | are jumpers in that direction
o is disconnected
--o
o--
or just the spinneret (but 7.5 volt unregulated power) with the jumpers like this: (the documentation doesn't say to do this)
oo|
oo|
When I did this everything got power, but I don't have a 3-way jumper:
---
o--
Do I need a 3-way jumper (which I couldn't find on Digikey) or did I miss something? I would like to be able to use the 3 pin headers.

Thanks

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-09-12 15:10
    Yes, unfortunately, you need a three-way jumper. And you can blame me for that: I designed the PWR-I/O-DB and did not anticipate this particular combination, since the MoBo has its own 5V regulator sourced from Vin. There are two ways to go about it:

1. Stack two very-low-profile two-way jumpers, although they barely fit.

2. Use one of these and bend the leads over to solder all three together.

The sad thing is that there's a spare pin on the header that could've been used for this purpose. :blush:

-Phil
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
    edited 2012-09-12 16:04
    Thanks, Phil. I'll probably just solder the jumpers together, though, as I only ever plan to use this for the Spinneret.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-09-12 16:15
    Do it on the bottom of the board so you can restore it, if need be, without getting solder on the header pins.

-Phil
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
    edited 2012-09-12 17:55
    OK, thanks.