Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connect BS2 to SCRIBBLER Robot — Parallax Forums

Connect BS2 to SCRIBBLER Robot

RED 7RED 7 Posts: 5
edited 2012-09-13 05:19 in BASIC Stamp
Here's a project I created a year or so ago. My big feat was allowing my BS2 Homework board to communicate with the SCRIBBLER robot via pin 16 (the serial port). I just used a Male-to-Male serial adapter for the physical connection. In my project, I was demonstrating, to a group of people, what a microcontroller can do.

The Homework board was the main controller. There were three modes in the program, 1) Play the minuet in G, 2) Roam around the room, 3) Draw a shape.

1) In this mode, both microcontrollers are playing one part of the Minuet in G. The Homework board plays the melody and the SCRIBBLER plays the harmony.

2) The SCRIBBLER roams around the room avoiding objects by using it's IR sensors. It sends sensor data to the Homework board to be displayed on the Homework board's LEDs.

3) The SCRIBBLER program has a shape it will draw on a large sheet of paper when the Homework board gives it a go.

Anyways, I know this isn't exactly interesting, but I thought I'd share it and the code for anyone who might want to use a piece of it for a project of their own. Happy programming! :-)

- RED 7

Science Fair Project (BASIC Stamp Portion).bs2
Science Fair Project (SCRIBBER Portion).bs2
Minuet in G (Harmony).bs2
Minuet in G (Melody).bs2
IR_judge.bs2

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-09-11 13:19
    RED 7 wrote: »
    Anyways, I know this isn't exactly interesting, but I thought I'd share it and the code for anyone who might want to use a piece of it for a project of their own. Happy programming!

I disgree, I think it's very interesting, and a great project getting two uCs talking through the serial port. If you get a chance to share some videos, you would grab even more interest here. Great job!
  • RED 7RED 7 Posts: 5
    edited 2012-09-11 14:46
    erco wrote: »
    If you get a chance to share some videos, you would grab even more interest here. Great job!

I wish I could. It was a project I created a long time ago. I might be able to dig up a couple photos, but I'm pretty sure I didn't take any video.
  • nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
    edited 2012-09-11 17:07
    This is great! I want to try this out!!!!!
  • softconsoftcon Posts: 217
    edited 2012-09-13 05:19
    Oh wow, perfect. I was wondering if something like this would be possible, and now I don't have to experiment to find out. You guys must be reading my mind lately. This is great. I'll let my kids know we can do this, and I'm sure they'll come up with even more things for us to do now. :) Thanks for that.