Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Science Fair! — Parallax Forums

Science Fair!

nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
edited 2012-09-17 10:21 in BASIC Stamp
Dear Parallax Community,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out? I am asking for is some ideas for science fair projects using a Boe-Bot. It has to be a question such as: How does sunlight effect cabbage growth? and it has to be something that benefits the world. I can do basic programming, but nothing to complex. I've got until JAnuary to get the whole project done, but I have to have a proposal in by the 18th of September. I have got a Boe-Bot, a QTI sensor kit, some PING sensors and bracket kits, and a Parallax RFID kit. I may have more at my school, but I have to check with them. Anyways give me any ideas.

Thanks!

Yours in Parallaxiness,

nrsmac

Comments

• RED 7RED 7 Posts: 5
    edited 2012-09-11 12:22
    Since you're doing stuff with sunlight, I'd grab a photoresistor, a 200 Ohm resistor, and a 0.01 uF capacitor and wire up the circuit described on page 191 of "What's a Microcontroller?" You could even use Stamp Plot Lite, which they discuss 2-3 pages later.

Since cabbage is a leafy plant, I'd guess the big deal with sunlight effects would be the amount of exposure the plant gets. You could somehow track the exposure that a couple cabbages get and see which one's look the healthiest. The goal would be to come up with a system that would help determine where the best place to plant a cabbage would be.

Not sure if that makes sense or not. Something to think about anyway. Good luck!

-RED 7
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-09-11 12:46
    nrsmac wrote: »
    ... I have got a Boe-Bot, a QTI sensor kit, some PING sensors...

You might be able to use the Pings to generate ultrasound and perhaps measure the effect of ultrasound on seed germination, on ants or fruit flies (attracted to or repelled by), or have your Boe-Bot flash things with different colored LEDs at different rates of flashing, etc. Perhaps use your QTI sensor to monitor ant movements. Or measure the effects of different materials on sound reflection, using the Ping and different materials like cloth, wood, metal, etc.
  • nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
    edited 2012-09-11 17:04
    Thanks guys, liking those ideas!! Keep those ideas coming. If I get more ideas like this, I will have the ULTIMATE science fair project!!! I am really liking ElectricAye's idea with the PING on different materials. I was just wondering, how would this benefit the world?

Keep those Ideas coming!

Thanks guys!!
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-09-15 14:04
    You could set a plant on top of BoeBot and program it to turn and follow the sun for maximum growth, or do the same with a solar cell to harvest maximum energy. To demonstrate comfort in the "home of the future," BoeBot can move to the chair and use the PING))) to see if someone is sitting there. If the temperature sensor indicates it's hot, a fan can keep the person cool and comfortable. You could demonstrate a "Mars" garden autonomous maintenance by having Boebot traverse the rows of plants at the proper PING))) distance and water the foliage. With the light sensor detecting night time, the PING))) can move about in total darkness. You can probably think of some really great projects for this like a security agent, night time checker robot... I wish you really good luck with this project and remember to have fun!
  • walkin79walkin79 Posts: 29
    edited 2012-09-16 01:53
    you could show how long it takes to charge a battery using solar (get a solar power panel from radioshack) and show how long it takes to charge it from the power company, analize the cost ( including how the power company makes its power) then show what you can do with the power you aquired. or you could just moniter the water comsumption of a cabage plant.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-09-17 10:21
    If you have a BOE Bot maybe it can scare bugs away (on a small and replicable scale) instead of pesticide?

It might help to look at big and current world issues and try to build your project around helping those issues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_environmental_issues (just a primer) You can also ask growers, go to the nearest grower (of anything) and ask them what problems they face.