Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 Version to use with EMIC 2 — Parallax Forums

BS2 Version to use with EMIC 2

KatyBriKatyBri Posts: 171
edited 2012-09-09 12:08 in BASIC Stamp
Will a BS2-IC work OK with an EMIC 2 or should another version be used? Also, is there a BS2 prototyping/carrier/project board with a female walwart connector and prototyping area? Thanks.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-09-08 20:24
    KatyBri wrote: »
    Will a BS2-IC work OK with an EMIC 2 or should another version be used? Also, is there a BS2 prototyping/carrier/project board with a female walwart connector and prototyping area? Thanks.

I don't use the BS2 much but I've used the Emic 2. It uses a baud of 9600 which the BS2 is capable of using.

I just check the Emic 2 product page and they have sample code to use the Emic 2 with the BS2 so I'm sure it would work with the BS2 just fine.

You should be able to use the Emic 2 with a simple breadboard and I'd think most boards using the BS2 (such as a BOE) would be able to supply the 5V needed to power the Emic 2.

Do you already have a BS2 and board? If so let us know what it is and I'm sure someone would know if it would work well with the Emic 2.

You might want to let us know what your ultimate goal is with the Emic 2 so we could point you in the right direction.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-09-09 09:45
    The Super Carrier Board may be what you want. There's a prototyping area the size of the little breadboard on the BOE and it has a standard power jack and 5V regulator, socket for a Stamp module, and DB-9 connector for programming.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-09-09 12:08
    Unless you already have a BS2-IC, this $25 kit with a BS2 HW board & solderless prototyping area is your best value: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampProgrammingKits/tabid/136/CategoryID/11/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/789/Default.aspx

Alternatively, the $25 mystery bag (sale ends Monday) includes a BS2-IC and carrier board, which has solderable prototyping area, along the lines of Mike's suggestion.

Edit: The HW & carrier boards don't have a barrel jack, just a 9V connector, so you'll have to make some adapter there. The HW board has an onboard 5V regulator, the carrier board doesn't, it uses the BS2-IC's Vin and tiny SMD regulator.