Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Omnidirectional ultrasonic sensor accessory - 3d printed — Parallax Forums

Omnidirectional ultrasonic sensor accessory - 3d printed

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2012-09-04 17:00
    Looks pretty cool. I wonder if you could replace the dome with something shaped almost like an inverted juicer to both focus the sound and deflect it into the sensor?

it129841_OrangeJuicer2.jpg
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2012-09-04 17:38
    And he says he gets the same range with the antenna as without the antenna, did I understand that right? That's also kind of cool.

So he's using the hemisphere as a reciever. I wonder how it would work out with adirectional transmitter, and a omni directional reciever? Could you detect secondary echos and get more distance reading from pulse transmitted pulse?
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-09-04 19:46
    That cannot be the optimal shape. Most of the transmitted energy will bounce back from that bulbous half-dome. Much better would be a conical surface. or one which focuses horizontal energy vertically into the transducer.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2012-09-04 21:55
    That cannot be the optimal shape. Most of the transmitted energy will bounce back from that bulbous half-dome. Much better would be a conical surface. or one which focuses horizontal energy vertically into the transducer.

-Phil

+1. Conical or parabolic would seem better. Also, he says SRF-04, which only has 4 pins. 5 pins shown in his photo. SRF-05? And exactly how does he get by removing one transducer?