Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Dead? — Parallax Forums

LCD Dead?

Timothy GoltserTimothy Goltser Posts: 8
edited 2012-09-10 21:59 in BASIC Stamp
This is a follow up post to my previous one about the LCD on the PPDB. I have not done anything with the PPDB in months, and just started using it again. My LCD wont turn on for the life of me! I think it might be fried, is there a way to test that? I posted an image below to show how the board is hooked up:

Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg

Maybe I hooked the resistor up wrong? Please help me! Thanks!
1024 x 768 - 82K
1024 x 768 - 51K
1024 x 768 - 66K

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-09-05 07:46
    Do you mean the 7 segment LEDs? I don't see an LCD in your pictures and they are quite hard to see clearly. Could you explain further?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-09-05 07:57
    As Franklin said, it's very hard to see what is going on with blurry pictures but...if you want the resistor in Pic002 to connect to the black (blue?) wire, it has to go into the hole to the right of the resistor. Not above it.

Take a peek at this video:

Jim
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-09-05 08:10
    From my own experience in the darker days of electronics, the only surefire way to fry an LCD is to reverse the polarity on the power to it.

I see you using a ribbon cable, so I am wondering how that might be?

Are you getting a blank screen (as in no power) or are you getting black blocks where the characters should be? If it is blank, it could be a lack of contrast. Black blocks are a possible indicator of a fried LCD (or too much contrast).

There is no real test to prove failure. But if you can get a good screen to initialize with the same software and wiring, and the suspect one won't - well that looks like a failure.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2012-09-05 08:38
    If that's the Parallax LCD, the cable it comes with is keyed, you'd have to force it to plug it in the wrong way. I think all the resistors are already on the PDB, so you would only need to connect the wires.

attachment.php?attachmentid=95343&d=1346859374
  • Timothy GoltserTimothy Goltser Posts: 8
    edited 2012-09-05 08:47
    Sorry for late reply :frown:. The LCD is working fine now, thanks to all of you :thumb:. Thanks for the help everyone!
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,047
    edited 2012-09-05 13:27
    Sorry for late reply :frown:. The LCD is working fine now, thanks to all of you :thumb:. Thanks for the help everyone!

...so, what was the problem? Hmmm?

"Inquiring minds want to know!"
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-09-10 07:02
    Panic, I suspect.

Maybe an IBM sign should be pressed into action.

Think, think, think.....
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2012-09-10 14:13
    You should follow up in your original thread on future posts. I responded in the other thread without realizing your problem was solved in this one. This is why duplicate threads are not allowed. Nonetheless you should still follow up in the original thread so others know it is solved.
  • nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
    edited 2012-09-10 21:59
    Like Chris said, double-posts can get SUPER annoying. We have this problem a lot on a forum I manage for my school. People duplicate posts and do not follow up with them. So we have teachers trying to solve their problems when the questions have already been solved. So next time, just try to follow up. It will save the Parallax community and nice people like Chris from a ton of extra work. So just be careful next time.

nrsmac