Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RN174 WiFly Help — Parallax Forums

RN174 WiFly Help

boomgodboomgod Posts: 1
edited 2013-04-25 06:02 in Accessories
Hello, i recently just got this RN 174 from roving networks and I am trying to build an iphone app so receive and send data to it. Now, I am having trouble receiving even receiving basic information about the module. I can send %%% to get it into command mode and I do receive "CMD" as conformation, however, in command mode when I send "get ip" command from my iphone app, all I receive back is "get ip" again.

This is a screenshot of the problem and my receive code.

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/920/screenshot20120831at407.png

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9043/screenshot20120831at400.png

I tried using terminal on the Imac to connect to the WiFly module and the command works, it is only unable to receive it properply on my iphone application.
Would appreciate if anyone knew what is the problem here :)

This is also a screenshot of my send code
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6994/screenshot20120831at100.png

Comments

• bobjrbobjr Posts: 14
    edited 2012-09-02 18:08
    Are you sending a CR at the end of your commands? To me it looks like your sending get ip instead of get ip <CR>​.
    I ask this because the $$$ or %%% command works only if there isn't any <CR> within 250 ms or so.
  • briankbbriankb Posts: 15
    edited 2012-11-24 18:54
    Did you get anywhere with this module? I'm looking for a cheap way to connect a propeller board to my home network to monitor various things like garage door and temp.
  • bobjrbobjr Posts: 14
    edited 2012-11-25 09:32
    I have gotten it to work, but it was difficult for me. I would say go for it. It is smart enough that depending on how many sensors you want to watch, you may not need s propeller.
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2012-12-21 22:24
    The RN174 works good with the nexus S1
    '
    I now have the S3...(just got it)... I'll try it out on the RN174 this long week end and report back if time allows
    '
    Not sure about the Iphone, My girl friend has a Iphone...I'll see if she will let me experiment w/ her phone?
    '
    I posted some info on the RN174 last year...But it sounds like you have a good grip on the device.
    '
    I really like the RN174 over the xbee stuff...Small simple and it works.
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2012-12-22 13:38
    I had time to play with a wifly module a little.
    The problem I had is android is not accepting ad hoc connections. So while in a network with a router everything works fine I wasn't able to have a "direct" connection with the ad hoc.
    Massimo
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2012-12-23 18:20
    You have to write an App. for your phone to hook-up with the device
    '
    I thought that was a giving.!
    '
    The Andriod is set up to be invisible.
  • UlkaUlka Posts: 6
    edited 2013-02-22 03:13
    The latest RN174 Datasheet says it has 32 bit SPARC processor.I am not getting the details of that processor neither on Roving Network site nor on Microchip website.I need a sample code and want to know the development tools required for the same.
    If anybody have the sample code/processor details etc pls share it.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2013-02-22 07:24
    I don't think you're going to get sample code or details on how the SPARC processor is used. The code is Roving Network's main Intellectual Property and, with variations, is used in most of their devices.
    edited 2013-02-22 21:00
    @ Mike
    The main code might be Roving Nw s IP but on the other hand we have to develop interfacing/establishing communication part code.
    If you have used this module, tell me all the steps involved in overall application.
    edited 2013-02-22 21:17
    On the iPhone, I use Mocha Telnet (or Mocha Telnet Lite) which is a terminal program available from the Apple App Store. This program can establish a serial connection via WiFi using the Telnet protocol which is what the WiFly uses. This lets me use the iPhone like a remote console for any Propeller or Stamp program that uses serial I/O. For example, I modified a version of FemtoBasic (from the Propeller Object Exchange) to use the I/O pins connected to my WiFly module instead of the USB interface to the PC that's normally used and I can then write and debug FemtoBasic programs using my iPhone (or iPad) as the console. If you want to do anything else with an iPhone or iPad, you'll have to become an iOS developer and use Apple's SDK to write your own programs using a Telnet WiFi connection.

I preconfigured the WiFly so it automatically joins my home network and opens a Telnet connection to the iPhone. This is done with the normal WiFly commands described in their firmware documentation.

I also have a Mac and a Mac terminal program called MacWise which also handles WiFi Telnet connections. This terminal program can be driven by any of the shell programs available for Unix / Linux / MacOS if you wanted to automate the Mac end of things.
    edited 2013-02-23 02:55
    Mike Green wrote: »
    On the iPhone, I use Mocha Telnet (or Mocha Telnet Lite) which is a terminal program available from the Apple App Store. This program can establish a serial connection via WiFi using the Telnet protocol which is what the WiFly uses. This lets me use the iPhone like a remote console for any Propeller or Stamp program that uses serial I/O. For example, I modified a version of FemtoBasic (from the Propeller Object Exchange) to use the I/O pins connected to my WiFly module instead of the USB interface to the PC that's normally used and I can then write and debug FemtoBasic programs using my iPhone (or iPad) as the console. If you want to do anything else with an iPhone or iPad, you'll have to become an iOS developer and use Apple's SDK to write your own programs using a Telnet WiFi connection.

I preconfigured the WiFly so it automatically joins my home network and opens a Telnet connection to the iPhone. This is done with the normal WiFly commands described in their firmware documentation.

I also have a Mac and a Mac terminal program called MacWise which also handles WiFi Telnet connections. This terminal program can be driven by any of the shell programs available for Unix / Linux / MacOS if you wanted to automate the Mac end of things.

Thanks for the replies!
    edited 2013-02-23 02:55
    Thanks for the replies!

Ulka
    edited 2013-04-01 23:53
    Hi,
    I am using RN171 wifly module.
    I have a NetgearWGR614V6 WiFi router.I am using it as a Access Point.I have connected my module to that AP with secured connection.I can see my module(192.168.1.6) on the attached devices list on the AP page.
    Along with this there is one more WiFi Module(192.168.1.7) with same configuration.That too listed in the attached devices list.
    Whenever I scan the network on my RN171 module(192.168.1.6) ..it shows only the AP details.I want to see the other RN171 module (192.168.1.7) when I scan NW.Though it doesn't lists (192.168.1.7) with scan command,I can communicate over TCP with it.It pings back.
    Previously when I was implementing Ad hoc mode the SCAN command used to list that module(192.168.1.7) details.
    Why doesn't it lists it out?

this is my wlan settings --
    SSID=mywifi
    Chan=6
    ExtAnt=0
    Join=2
    Auth=WPA1
    Mask=0x1fff
    Rate=12, 24 Mb
    Linkmon=0
    Passphrase=mypass
    TxPower=12
    edited 2013-04-25 00:29

Hi,
    I performed..

boot wps_app command on my RN171 module.
    didnt performed save,reboot etc after this command.
    And I am not able to communicate with my module at all.I am getting
    WPS-PIN=0WPS-APP V1.231

So I pulled GPIO9 HIGH and reset the RN171 but nothing happened.Not able to go to command mode also.
    PLEASE HELP.HOW TO COME OUT OF THIS WPA_APP MODE.

Ulka
    edited 2013-04-25 06:02
    I suggest you contact Roving Networks' Tech Support (here). Sorry, I don't remember what I did when this happened to me.