Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to robotics — Parallax Forums

New to robotics

dohbotdohbot Posts: 4
edited 2012-09-08 18:07 in Robotics
I am curious where do I start?
What would be a logical route of progression for me in this hobby?
I am interested in competing in Sumo or something involving humanoids.

Any pointers would be awesome. I know very little about programming, electronics or anything of this sort.

Thank you.

Comments

• doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2012-08-26 19:25
    Welcome!

I got my start with a Boebot. It is a good place to start.

Paul
  • dohbotdohbot Posts: 4
    edited 2012-08-26 19:26
    I figured as much.

How expandable is the boe-bot?
    I saw the biped brat kits from Lynxmotion and the like, would it be possible to transfer the boe-bots board with the circuits on to something like that?
  • Jim the HermitJim the Hermit Posts: 79
    edited 2012-08-30 10:33
    You should learn something about electronics (at least DC circuits). If something is installed wrong or gets disconnected, or burns out, you will need to know how to troubleshoot it.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-08-30 11:02
    There are some standard expansion kits for the BoeBot like the PING))) servo bracket and PING))). You can also add a LiIon battery pack and charger in place of the alkaline battery holder. You can replace the Stamp Board of Education with the Propeller Board of Education, either afterwards or buy the BoeBot chassis and Prop BOE separately. The Propeller would get you a whole lot of extra hardware including a micro-SD card socket and you can easily add an xBee or WiFi wireless interface (RN-XV).
  • gennarobasso81gennarobasso81 Posts: 84
    edited 2012-09-08 18:07
    Hey Dohbot,

I just posted a thread. It is for beginners like us and i think it might be exactly what you are looking for.

educational group project for all of us that are new to electronics