Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hardware Communication failure Error — Parallax Forums

Hardware Communication failure Error

PRPROG01PRPROG01 Posts: 28
edited 2012-08-27 04:37 in BASIC Stamp
My parallax system is generating this annoying message when I try to RUN - Load to the BS2 a program:

"Hardware communication failure, check prog cable and power supply"
The system try to load the program gets to any percentage , it does not matter it failed........ Eventually it works when I continue to try again and again.

I have disconnect other circuts, try smaller program, change the 9v baterry to a new one....it does not make any difference.

I have check the forums ., since this situation had being notify before but no solution had being provided yet (as far as I can try). The USB connection is the same included in the Student kit included. My Laptop is running Windows XP.

I am in the middle of a project and will like to find a solution to this issue. Beside this issue I think your product is great.

Thanks,
PRPROG

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2012-08-24 06:27
    Have you tried a different cable?
  • PRPROG01PRPROG01 Posts: 28
    edited 2012-08-24 07:15
    Leon wrote: »
    Have you tried a different cable?

Thanks for the reply.
    No. I am using the same cable that Parallax provide with the Kit (USB connector). Why could it be the cable?
    Those are supposed to be standard. Right? I will give a try any way....if I found one of those cable at home.....
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-08-24 07:29
    The Stamp Editor checks the communications hardware between the PC and the Stamp before it downloads the program. If these checks fail, it gives the Hardware Communication Failure message. The most common cause of this sort of failure is a broken cable between the PC and the Stamp board. The Stamp Missing message most commonly is due to a bad battery, but also can be caused by a bad cable.
    edited 2012-08-24 07:52
    Mike Green wrote: »
    The Stamp Editor checks the communications hardware between the PC and the Stamp before it downloads the program. If these checks fail, it gives the Hardware Communication Failure message. The most common cause of this sort of failure is a broken cable between the PC and the Stamp board. The Stamp Missing message most commonly is due to a bad battery, but also can be caused by a bad cable.

Thanks Mike.
    I will try another cable.Hope I find one at home.
    Anyway by the program behaviour it looks like it is actually downloading the program (at least that is what is seems to happen by the percentage change) ...and then it failed. Sometimes it failed at 10% or 5%...but it can failed at 80% or even 95% of the download process. So the communication check is not done (at least from my point of view as a user) not at the start, but as the download process progress.
    edited 2012-08-24 08:17
    I would try another battery or use an AC power adapter in addition to trying another cable.

The message is correct. It's caused by a communications failure between the PC and the Stamp. The PC sends some data and the Stamp is supposed to respond and it doesn't. It doesn't depend on your program except that the longer your program is, the more time it takes to download and the more time there is for an intermittent error to occur.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-08-24 08:26
    It could be a USB latency issue. Check the settings for the port in the Control Panel. If the Latency is set to 16 (the default value), change it to 1, save the new setting, and the problem may go away.

-Phil
    edited 2012-08-24 09:58
    I would try another battery or use an AC power adapter in addition to trying another cable.

The message is correct. It's caused by a communications failure between the PC and the Stamp. The PC sends some data and the Stamp is supposed to respond and it doesn't. It doesn't depend on your program except that the longer your program is, the more time it takes to download and the more time there is for an intermittent error to occur.

...already try a new fresh 9v battery. The board does not have an AC Power Adapter. (sorry to highjack my own thread.)..but how do I add a suitable AC adapter plug and connection? . It would be better to used AC power instead of 9v battery. Can you point me to a previous thread were this modification was discuss. I bought the BASIC Stamp Activity Kit - Serial + USB in Radio Shack. It does not include an AC power adapter. (Item code 90005)
    edited 2012-08-24 10:01
    It could be a USB latency issue. Check the settings for the port in the Control Panel. If the Latency is set to 16 (the default value), change it to 1, save the new setting, and the problem may go away.

-Phil

Wow....totally different approach....hope one of the alternative resolved the situation. I will check this USB latency setup first....then try the cable alternative if this does not work.
    edited 2012-08-24 10:13
    There are AC adapters made to substitute for a 9V battery or you can buy an AC adapter with a 7.5V output and a current capacity of 200mA or more, cut off the connector on the end of the cable from the adapter and solder on a 9V battery clip, either bought or scavenged from an old 9V battery that you're discarding. You have to be careful to connect the clip to the cable so the polarity is correct. If you get it backwards, you can destroy the Stamp board. It's best to check the polarity with a multimeter.
    edited 2012-08-24 12:17
    There are AC adapters made to substitute for a 9V battery or you can buy an AC adapter with a 7.5V output and a current capacity of 200mA or more, cut off the connector on the end of the cable from the adapter and solder on a 9V battery clip, either bought or scavenged from an old 9V battery that you're discarding. You have to be careful to connect the clip to the cable so the polarity is correct. If you get it backwards, you can destroy the Stamp board. It's best to check the polarity with a multimeter.

Great!!. If it is that simple I will plan for this change. I will be careful on the polarity.I am sure you will expect this question: Why a 7.5v output and not a 9 v? [Well at least from me a novice it is expected such a question]

Thanks.
    edited 2012-08-24 13:10
    The Stamp's circuitry requires a source of regulated +5V and the Stamp board has a regulator on it to provide this (Vdd) from an unregulated supply (Vin). The regulator requires a minimum amount of voltage above its regulated output voltage (the "drop-out" voltage). For the regulator used, this is about 0.25V, so the minimum Vin is 5.25V. Realistically, this needs to be more like 6V or above. A 7.5V supply allows for other boards that may use conventional regulators that may have a 1.2V or 1.5V dropout voltage. If you have a good 6V supply where the output voltage doesn't drop significantly under full load, you could use that. The BoeBot Stamp board, for example, uses a 6V alkaline battery pack. Rechargable battery packs for radio control vehicles commonly use a 7.2V battery pack and this can be used to power a BoeBot. Servos don't work well with voltages much above this.
    edited 2012-08-26 10:51

-Phil

Phil, thanks a lot. That was exactly the solution. I change the latency to 1 and voila!!! problem solved. Thanks again.
    edited 2012-08-27 04:37
    The Stamp's circuitry requires a source of regulated +5V and the Stamp board has a regulator on it to provide this (Vdd) from an unregulated supply (Vin). The regulator requires a minimum amount of voltage above its regulated output voltage (the "drop-out" voltage). For the regulator used, this is about 0.25V, so the minimum Vin is 5.25V. Realistically, this needs to be more like 6V or above. A 7.5V supply allows for other boards that may use conventional regulators that may have a 1.2V or 1.5V dropout voltage. If you have a good 6V supply where the output voltage doesn't drop significantly under full load, you could use that. The BoeBot Stamp board, for example, uses a 6V alkaline battery pack. Rechargable battery packs for radio control vehicles commonly use a 7.2V battery pack and this can be used to power a BoeBot. Servos don't work well with voltages much above this.

Ok. I found a 9v AC Adapter. Following your detali explanation, if I match the polarity it will work fine with the BS2 board, since it have a +5V regulator. Correct? It will not harm or damage the Stamp or the board.

Thanks,
    PRPROG