Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
True PWM — Parallax Forums

True PWM

SlaterieslingSlateriesling Posts: 2
edited 2012-08-25 22:12 in BASIC Stamp
I was intending to use a basic stamp to control several strings of high power LEDs through constant current drivers that have a PWM controlled dimming function. Is it possible to get a 1Khz Duty Cycle PWM control signal from the controller?

If not, is it possible with one of the other chips? Propeller perhaps.

If it is not possible I may have to use drivers that are more expensive to get the same dimming capability.

Thank you

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-08-21 20:59
    It's possible to get a 1KHz true PWM signal from a Stamp, but that's all the Stamp will be able to do and it won't have a full 0% to 100% range. You'd be much better off using some kind of external PWM generator controlled by the Stamp. I think you could do it with a 556 dual timer with one half generating a 1KHz pulse train and the other half generating a variable width pulse triggered by the 1KHz pulse train edge. You'd use a digitally controlled potentiometer to set the variable pulse width and this would be controlled by the Stamp.

A Propeller can do this all by itself as well as doing lots of other things at the same time.
  • SlaterieslingSlateriesling Posts: 2
    edited 2012-08-25 22:12
    Thank you,

I had a feeling that was the case from my reading but I wanted to know from the experts. I will perhaps use the Prop instead. I just had a stamp not doing anything so...