Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Start a file — Parallax Forums

Start a file

Aces.Aces. Posts: 1
edited 2012-08-13 15:28 in BASIC Stamp
Well, I got a Basic stamp 2.0 (I think) and I'm creating a project where I'm gonna make a model uav with Linux that will search for near GSM towers and search after WiFi and such. I'm just wondering if the Basic Stamp can help my in any way? Can it have an internal storage and if so can it start a file on that storage like a music file or a script? Help is really appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-08-13 15:28
    Welcome to the Stamp Forum. A Basic Stamp can be very helpful in building a UAV controller, but you're looking at it the same way you'd look at a PC. The Stamp is a microcontroller. It has limited memory (about 2K for the program) and even more limited memory for data (about 26 bytes). You can use some of the program memory for storing data that you don't need to change often, like parameter tables. You can't store files in the way you're thinking about it.

Go to Parallax's main web page and click on the Downloads button. On that page, click on the Educational Tutorials and Translations. You'll find links to What's a Microcontroller? and Robotics with the BoeBot. Elsewhere on the Downloads page, you'll find a Stamp Documentation button which will get you to links for the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual. All of these will give you an idea of what the Stamp can do (and maybe can't do) and how you might do things.