Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Original Stingray robot kit documentation — Parallax Forums

Original Stingray robot kit documentation

RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
edited 2012-08-19 19:56 in Robotics
Does anyone happen to have the PDF of the original documentation for the full Stingray robot kit? It is no longer on the Parallax website and the only one I can find is the newer revised version that is for just the plain chassis kit.

I really wish that Parallax would have a section for people to download all the datasheets for retired products either on their website or a section set aside here on the forum....

Comments

• Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2012-08-13 10:52
    I uploaded here but I will delete it when you are done - GONE!
    - Ron
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2012-08-13 11:01
    Got it. Thank You!!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-08-13 11:12
    Got it. Thank You!!

I used to get all my old docs from the wayback machine. but Parallax has since change the robot.txt to exclude them from the archive.

Shame on you Parallax. :)

Today, I was looking for a few Programs for the Propeller Control Board, (Quadrover), bu could not find them. Time to plug in the 2 TB drive to see if they are on there.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2012-08-13 13:54
    I just realized that I don't have a PDF either. Just a hardcopy from when I put the kit together. I completely agree that Parallax should have a repository for documents pertaining to retired product. As an FYI, the Stingray control board documentation (the MSR1) can still be found from a search: http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/prop/28230-PropellerRobotControlBrd-v1.0.pdf Also, any demo code from the kit web page is gone as well, but the forums has a ton.
    edited 2012-08-13 14:52
    WBA I uploaded it again - Stingray

Let me know when you have it so I can delete it again...
    edited 2012-08-13 17:31
    WBA I uploaded it again - Stingray

Let me know when you have it so I can delete it again...

Ron. I'm a little perplexed on why you would delete the file. Wouldn't it be beneficial to others searching the forum for an answer to this question.?

It's not like it's a proprietary Parallax file.

Jim

EDIT: I just saw that you were hosting the PDF on your site. I understand saving space on your site.
    edited 2012-08-13 18:15
    Like Robert, I could not find info on a pretty recent board. I was trying to get my Propeller Control Board, (QUADROVER) up and running, but I had lost all the SPIN file for it. I did a search on 3 TB of hard drives on three computer and have posted all the info on a new post:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?141830-Propeller-Control-Board-28205-Support-Files&p=1117922#post1117922

Jim
    edited 2012-08-13 18:24
    Jim,
    Yeah, I had uploaded to my ISP's servers and I have limited available space so that's why I deleted it.
    I guess I could have just attached it to the thread (as a ZIP file if necessary).
    Glad you found what you were looking for.
    It really would be nice if Parallax would archive old documentation for a number of years.
    edited 2012-08-13 18:28
    Ron,

I think if we ask nice, Parallax would come up with the info we ask for. They'r nice guys and we are too. :)
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2012-08-14 10:33
    Thanks Ron, I got it. I also found it on the net at Cal Poly. I think I'll start a suggestion thread about retired product documentation..........
    edited 2012-08-14 11:50
    I had also sent an e-mail to Parallax support asking about the Stingray docs. They saw that someone on the forum had temporarily posted them and asked if this was resolved. I told them that I was able to get the documentation fro this but mentioned that I've run into this before with retired products. I expressed my concerns (probably a bit more strongly worded) in my direct response back to them that these documents need to stay online. I've responded to the other thread that was started specifically in regards to keeping the docs available for download and some other reasons why we need them.

Robert
    edited 2012-08-19 19:56
    Using the docs as a guide I was able to finish rebuilding a Stingray robot this weekend. It had an extra plate so I used 8 long 8-32 threaded M/F spacers to mount the top plate and used the handles to secure it. With the extra height it is still easy to get to the main board and breadboard. This is a set of three PING modules and a pair of US-Digital quadrature encoders for feedback. I still plan on adding the line follower module and some other extras. The spare top plate has a lot of room for expansion.

The robot just sat and spun at first but I found that the left PING was bad (first one I've had an issue with) and swapping that with a spare fixed it.

Stringray.jpg
    1024 x 1244 - 154K