Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Standard servo connected to propeller — Parallax Forums

Standard servo connected to propeller

kaydarakaydara Posts: 17
edited 2012-08-26 20:48 in Accessories
Greetings to all, I have a question, maybe someone has happened, I connected a standard servo use a propeller protoboard, run the application the servo does not move but as second clock and does not perform continuous movieminto
anyone knows that would be what happens. thank you very much beforehand.

this is the code:Single_Servo_Spin.spin

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-08-12 19:13
    Post #15 of this thread has a very simple servo demo in it. It uses I/O pin P8 and the signal line. You can change this to match your set up.

The program mentioned above uses the servo driver "Servo32v7.spin" which works very well.

The code used in your program is not likely to be very precise but it should work.

What are you using as a power supply? When a servo first starts to move it draws a lot of current. A small 9V battery doesn't supply enough current for many servos. Many "wall wart" type transformers also don't supply enough current for some servos.

You might be able to use your current power supply if you add a large (>1000uF) capacitor to the 5V line.
  • kaydarakaydara Posts: 17
    edited 2012-08-12 19:35
    Duane thanks for your answer, however it happened the same problem, it is probable that this is due to servo movement is restricted and not continuous but not sure.
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2012-08-12 19:57
    If, as you say in your first post, you are using a "standard servo", then the movement of it WILL be restricted. A standard servo has (about) 180 degrees of possible rotation. You must modify the servo or use a 'continous rotation' servo if you want continuous rotation. See here for a standard servo; here for a continuous rotation servo.
    edited 2012-08-14 17:41
    thanks for your answer JLocke, so it is, tests with a continuous-servo codes and unfortunately the same problem occurs
  • TymkrsTymkrs Posts: 539
    edited 2012-08-14 20:02
    Whenever I've had issues with clock-like movement instead of smooth motion, it's because of a lack of power.
    edited 2012-08-26 20:06
    Tymkrs, you were right. Thanks for your help friends, now I wonder if it is possible, how to control the servo speed?. Thank you very much beforehand.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-08-26 20:24
    I'm still not sure what kind of servo you have. Is it a continuous rotation version?

What kind of Propeller board are you using?
    edited 2012-08-26 20:48
    so, recently bought a parallax continuous rotation servo and propeller proto board USB