WS2801 Driver - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

WS2801 Driver

2»

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-05-06 08:13
    Tubular wrote: »
    Not yet.

I put very basic Spin drivers for HL1606 and WS2801 based strips in the obex. I'll look at your pasm driver, may be able to adapt it to the UBleds because they're very similar (shift register based), but UBleds are 5 bits per color (1RrrrrGggggBbbbb) .

Did the drivers for the HL1606 ever get into the OBEX? A search did not turn up anything.
  • JohnR2010JohnR2010 Posts: 431
    edited 2014-09-12 05:58
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    For a project I'm working on I needed control of several RGB LEDs. Through Minion's Web (www.minionsweb.com) I found a strip that includes a WS2801 driver for each LED. Most of the work I found used Spin (I did too, at first, just to test) or uses the SPI object. For my projectsI decided to create a clean WS2801 object that can deal with as many channels as I need (currently set to 64, but this can be changed).

The driver is written in PASM so it's pretty zippy; it takes about 10us per RGB LED to update. Review and comments before I move to ObEx are appreciated.

Jon, I know you put this together a couple of years ago but i wanted to let you know I downloaded your code from the OBEX and i'm using it in a project. Just wanted to say thanks for the time to write and post it!! Also last night I was catching up on old Nuts & Volts articles and read your write up on this. Well done sir!!
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,948
    edited 2014-09-12 12:23
    I'm glad you found it useful, John.

I mostly use the WS2812Bs now, but used the WS2801s last Fall in this project because we wanted to be able to control the clock speed to mitigate possible interference with the guitarists (Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit) wireless system.
    597 x 708 - 143K