Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Easy Bluetooth Boe Bot for MSRS — Parallax Forums

Easy Bluetooth Boe Bot for MSRS

T3rr0rByte13T3rr0rByte13 Posts: 29
edited 2012-07-29 20:13 in Robotics
I just started programming robots and bought my Boe Bot, I was inspired by the project featured in Microsoft Robotics Studio book I bought. Unfortunately the project files for Boe Bot and MSRS were put on the back burner by Microsoft and Parallax.
So I decided to recreate the project myself. I wrote some drivers for the Boe Bot and then a service for MSRS. I thought I would provide it to the community to use - free of course!.

You can see the project discription and write up here: http://www.hobbyware.org/Projects/Boe%20Bot%20and%20MSRS/boebotmsrs.aspx

The source code can be found here: http://www.hobbyware.org/Projects/Boe%20Bot%20and%20MSRS/drivers.aspx

Enjoi!

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2012-07-24 12:53
    THis is something I have been working onfor the past 2 weeks. Thanks for this. However, I do have an issue in that I am unable to build the project which needs to be done prior to running in dsseditor. Or am I suppose to just run the program from with the Debug terminal? The msbuild command will not work because the directory and file name are boe bot instead of one word. Any suggestions?
  • T3rr0rByte13T3rr0rByte13 Posts: 29
    edited 2012-07-24 18:56
    Glad to hear this would be of some use to you.

I tested the code using the debug "Play" button. Try building the project from within Visual Studio, I gave it a try and it seemed to work correctly. If you are still having issues you could try pulling the individual files from the code and re-creating the new project without the space in the "Boe Bot".

At any rate I will try and recreate the project without the space in the project path, and re-release at the above link. Might take some time though, possibly on the weekend.
    edited 2012-07-24 19:29
    Sounds good. I have played with it quite a bit and nothing seems to be working. It will not rebuild inside VS. Everything with MSRS is machine specific, which is why you have to use the msbuild command for all downloaded projects.The problem is that when new projects are created you have to use the dssnewservice command. That builds the .dll files and the schema is pointing to the wrong place. I get the same error message when I try to build in the dss command prompt and within VS. Thanks though, as this does look very promising and close to what I have been working on. I am currently modifying the Dashboard in the my.boebot.manifest to do what I need it to. Just repost when it is ready and I will try it out again.
    edited 2012-07-24 20:04
    When you mentioned machine specific it reminded me of this:
    Untitled.png

The working directory might need to be changed including the command line arguments.
    703 x 455 - 28K
    edited 2012-07-24 20:24
    OK. I will give that a try tomorrow. Have too many other issues going right now. I will let you know how it goes. I will say that this all looks to be very tight work you have done. The BS2 code "almost worked" with the my.boebot.manifest. When I say "almost" the left wheel was spinning periodically and if I pressed an arrow key would do so repetitively. More than I could get the original versions to do!!!!

My goal is not so much getting MSRS to work via Bluetooth as it is to get it to work over a wired Comm port. Bluetooth will work fine for now but for my project it is not near secure enough and I want to stay wired. Thanks for the great code.
    edited 2012-07-28 02:30
    I have applied the changes discribed above to the project. I also did a test on completely different computer and updated the documentation as required. See the links in the first post for the updated version.
    edited 2012-07-29 20:13
    So I downloaded the latest version. After changing the deault output settings I am still getting an error related to the user\T3rr etc, etc not being found. Is this an Exported project or copy and paste to a .zip file? Not sure why it would not take when i changed the configuration paths but it is looking for the msi key in the user folder you set up in. I may just create the username and copy everything to that. I really would like to see this in operation.