Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Joystick Controlled Boe Bot (bs2) — Parallax Forums

Joystick Controlled Boe Bot (bs2)

An_IdiotAn_Idiot Posts: 2
edited 2012-09-25 21:49 in Accessories
Hello,
A couple months ago, I decided i wanted to make a wireless boe bot that I could control with a joystick. I had my 2 xbee-zigbees(the zigbee gets better distance and is only a little more $), a homework board, a (loaded) boe bot, and a Pro development board (for a more complex controller). So I set it all up based on this, pages 136 and 137, minus the compass module HM55B, which is discontinued. I would like to get a code for the boe bot and the HW board, but the only ones i found are in this document somewhere after page 150, and are for the tilt module and require a compass module HM55B. Can someone please write/edit a code for this, and is there a way to do this via the GPS (preferred: i have one) instead of the compass?
Thank you,
An_Idiot

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-20 20:40
    That's not how these forums work. Someone may have done something like what you want, but you may have to wait a long time before they log in and see your message. You could hire someone as a consultant to write a program for you or to modify something that already exists. Typically, people use and adapt code examples that are provided either through links on the product webpages for the products they're interested in or there may be worked examples in either a Nuts and Volts Column or a tutorial or Parallax's new educational website. In this forum, people generally will offer suggestions, comments, and critiques of code you post, but you won't get someone to write anything more than simple examples for you.

I think you'll find that the various examples will provide the basis for what you want to do. You will have to do some work and you will have to learn how to program the Stamp. Try first making a BoeBot controlled by a wired joystick. Then move the joystick to a separate Stamp board and get the two boards to talk to each other over a wired serial connection. From there it's easy to interpose a pair of xBees for a wireless serial connection, then you could add a GPS to the BoeBot although remember that the resolution of GPS isn't high enough to use for BoeBot navigation over distances on the order of a few feet. You may be better off using current navigation chips (compass / gyro / accelerometer).
  • An_IdiotAn_Idiot Posts: 2
    edited 2012-07-20 22:49
    Sorry I'm new to the forums.
    I'm trying to be optimistic about a code, because mine will most likely be buggy.
    I also wanted to make it easier for the next person, as there is few codes for this.
    thank you,
    An_Idiot
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2012-07-21 01:09
    because mine will most likely be buggy.
    That seems to be the way it is when we are learning and we are here to help you fight the bugs. You will learn better if you try working with the code and understanding what works and why.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,644
    edited 2012-08-17 18:23
    There's no such thing as a program without any bugs. It's relatively easy (compared to the Propeller, at least) to find and fix bugs on a BS2, however. Just put lots of DEBUG statements everywhere. Also, although nobody will write your program, they might fix it for you.
  • gennarobasso81gennarobasso81 Posts: 84
    edited 2012-09-19 10:18
    hey idoit,

Not sure if u are still interested in this project being that it is a month later...but i am doing a very similar project myself...you are welcome to work along side me on here. check it out at educational group project for all of us that are new to electronics
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2012-09-20 16:10
    An_Idiot wrote: »
    Hello,
    A couple months ago, I decided i wanted to make a wireless boe bot that I could control with a joystick. I had my 2 xbee-zigbees(the zigbee gets better distance and is only a little more $), a homework board, a (loaded) boe bot, and a Pro development board (for a more complex controller). So I set it all up based on this, pages 136 and 137, minus the compass module HM55B, which is discontinued. I would like to get a code for the boe bot and the HW board, but the only ones i found are in this document somewhere after page 150, and are for the tilt module and require a compass module HM55B. Can someone please write/edit a code for this, and is there a way to do this via the GPS (preferred: i have one) instead of the compass?
    Thank you,
    An_Idiot

I did this once too and I didn't start with a pile of parts. I made my BOE Bot work, then I played with XBEEs and then I was able to join them together. You also have a servo pal I'm assuming, so you should understand how that works as well. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?140202-Wireless-Joystick I used a Propeller, and also the joystick was in bad shape, use something with good potentiometers.
  • riya78992riya78992 Posts: 2
    edited 2012-09-25 21:49
    Hi,

You can also take help fron this link. Here some sample code has been discussed. refer page no. 135
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/84785343/33/BASIC-Stamp-Project-Wireless-Joystick-Control-and-Monitoring-of-a-Boe-Bot

This will give you an idea on how you can start with your project.

here is one more link which will help you working with the joystick.
    http://www.yourwarrantyisvoid.com/2010/02/03/basic-stamp-a-quick-guide-on-using-a-legacy-joystick/