Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Boe-Bot tank kit drawbacks — Parallax Forums

Boe-Bot tank kit drawbacks

langezwieperlangezwieper Posts: 5
edited 2012-10-02 18:06 in Learn with BlocklyProp
I currently ordered a Boe-Bot and the additional tank conversion kit. I havent build a bot before but do have some Arduino experience. I'm asking myself if the following issues can be overcome with the tank conversion kit or are not that serious at all:

- are there any (accurate) solutions for keeping track of travelled distance (compass, accelero,..) just like the rotary encounter kit for the normal Boe-Bot? Navigating rotation is possible with the compass but distance will remain a problem.
- will it drain the batteries noticeable faster when turning in place? Since it has a large contact surface

Like I said, I don't have any experience with robots but I already have a good understanding of what it should do when finished building (for example it should be able to navigate into a imaginary square box).

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-20 07:59
    There are no 'ready-made' solutions for accurately keeping track of travelled distance. You'll have to make your own using the rotary encoder kit as a model. Even with that, there will be some slippage even with the tracks.

The tracks add friction and that will take additional energy to drive over what the wheels take. Whether you'll notice any faster battery drain is another question entirely.

The tracks allow your BoeBot to move on surfaces where the wheels won't work. That's the compensation for the additional energy needed to drive them.
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-07-20 08:11
    Our Boe-Bot Power Pack-Charger may be a good addition. It will add the extra battery life you may need when running tank treads on the BOE-BOT.L

LINK: http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/txtSearch/battery/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/782/Default.aspx
  • langezwieperlangezwieper Posts: 5
    edited 2012-07-20 09:20
    Thank you both for your answers.

With slippage you mean slippage from the tank tracks onto the plastic 'gears/wheels' that hold them? Being able to navigate with great accuracy really is a wish. So propably I'll be better of with the tires (since the terrain is not very special and they are not suffering from slippage?).

If the battery life becomes a problem I will look into the power pack charger or I go for a lipo solution since I already have a balancer and charger for my rc heli.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-20 09:57
    By 'slippage' I'm referring to the slippage between the tank treads and the surface they're moving on. The wheels are toothed and there should be very little jumping of the tread from one set of teeth to another.
    edited 2012-07-20 10:03
    Okay, so for 'slippering' there wouldn't be much of a difference. So the only 'drawback' (or challenge) is that parallax doesn't offer a standard solution for a rotary encoder? I guess I could mount an encoder to one of the tank tread wheels some way to keep track of the movement and everything should be fine like it is with normal tires?

Sorry for my English and the questions ;). Really appreciate the help btw
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-07-20 10:03
    With slippage you mean slippage from the tank tracks onto the plastic 'gears/wheels' that hold them? Being able to navigate with great accuracy really is a wish. So propably I'll be better of with the tires (since the terrain is not very special and they are not suffering from slippage?).

Encoders are useful for wheeled or for tracked bases if the motors aren't turning at the same speed. So use them either way. But don't count on encoders to help you if you want to turn a tracked base. It's not possible with wheel/motor encoders alone to know with any degree of accuracy how much the treads are slipping in order to determine the amount of turn. That's how tracked bases turn -- by slipping the treads over the surface.

You need to navigate using other means. If you're using the robot in a line follow or maze course, you can use the line or perimeter to keep track of space. Otherwise, you'd need to employ things like compasses and other sensors to monitor the robot's placement. As Mike suggests, you use treads when their physical properties provide an advantage over wheels. Otherwise, wheels are cheaper and provide for more consistent results.

-- Gordon
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2012-07-23 08:41
    Like I said, I don't have any experience with robots but I already have a good understanding of what it should do when finished building (for example it should be able to navigate into a imaginary square box).

Same with me. I have a good understanding that my robot should be able to conquer the world when I'm finished building, but I may need some help with the code. :)

Start with simple wheels to learn the basics. Treads on small robots are more of a novelty. In many cases, treads cause more problems than they solve. They will def drain your batteries twice as fast and make any kind of consistent turn attempts much harder and very surface dependant. And treads break, jam and fall off.
    edited 2012-07-23 10:33
    Thank you for the replies! I'll start with the wheels then, I can send the treads back to the shop and will order some encoders for the wheels instead ;). Time to conquer the world. ps erco, I think our bots will meet in an epic battle some time in the future then ;)?
    edited 2012-07-23 16:42
    I think our bots will meet in an epic battle some time in the future then ;)?

Ready when you are! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuXMh1_-6Ag
    edited 2012-07-23 23:12
    erco wrote: »
    Nice bot, be careful with the neighbors pets :lol:
  • mark6320mark6320 Posts: 2
    edited 2012-09-25 18:29
    I'm most interested in your rear castor on your Boebot. What did you use? Can you post a closeup of how you mounted it? I also posted a question via youTube. Sorry if that's considered a double post.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark
    edited 2012-09-26 09:15
    Four such casters came with a large Sterilite drawer cart, like http://www.sterilite.com/ProductCategory.html?ProductCategory=20&section=1

I used the same caster on another robot, you can see pics at: http://find.botmag.com/091206

Any small caster should work. This one looks nice, but TTYTT it is very picky. It has 2 seperate outer free-spinning wheels. If its mounting spindle isn't perfectly vertical, the caster will favor one direction and may mis-steer your robot. I would actually prefer a single center wheel caster for better control.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-09-27 11:00
    Mrs. Erco: Dear, my drawer cart is missing one of its wheels. Do you know what happened to it?

Mr. Erco: (silence)

20 minutes later

Mrs. Erco: Oh, there it is on the cart! Wonder how I could have missed it. Never mind!!
    edited 2012-09-27 20:09
    15 minutes later

Mrs. Erco: Oh, look, the cart is moving all by itself. Somehow it's moving in a triangular route. Practically riding an invisible light beam between the three piles of BASIC Stamps, relays, and plywood scraps.

Mr. Erco: (silence)
    edited 2012-09-27 23:46
    BTW Gordon: I've been checking out the Ardbot kit I got from you. Skids, no casters. If I stole a second caster from the wifey's cart, it would eliminate her rocking problem (listing to port is a different issue entirely) and get Ardbot rolling smoothly. Hmmm...

I'm never one to leave well enough alone.
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,130
    edited 2012-10-02 18:06
    erco wrote: »
    BTW Gordon: I've been checking out the Ardbot kit I got from you. Skids, no casters. If I stole a second caster from the wifey's cart, it would eliminate her rocking problem (listing to port is a different issue entirely) and get Ardbot rolling smoothly. Hmmm...

I'm never one to leave well enough alone.

Appropriate all four and you eliminate several problems: No rocking, no listing and it won't roll around during a quake! Of course there may be some "internal" issues I've overlooked. ;-)

@