Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Which is would be better? An Xbee module, or a 433 Mhz Transceiver. — Parallax Forums

Which is would be better? An Xbee module, or a 433 Mhz Transceiver.

Wheelie016Wheelie016 Posts: 11
edited 2012-07-18 17:46 in Accessories
My robot uses a basic stamp 2, and is basically a Boe Bot, the only difference being that I built it from scratch. I want to control it wirelessly from my PC. I was wondering what would be the best transceiver to use. An Xbee Module, or the 433 Mhz Transceiver found in the Parallax store. I'm looking for the overall simplest and cheapest method. Also, once I've decided which transceiver to use, any tutorials, advice, or info on how to control my robot through my computer would be appreciated.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-18 13:07
    The xBee does its own error checking and correction. The 433MHz transceiver does not. You'd have to include that in your code. What's simplest and/or cheapest depends on what's important to you. There's some sample code on the webpage for the 433MHz transceiver that includes simple error checking. There's a guide to xBee that you can download from Parallax which includes sample code.
  • Wheelie016Wheelie016 Posts: 11
    edited 2012-07-18 13:28
    Thanks, I'll look into both. But from what I skimmed over, the 433Mhz transceiver code showed only communication between a two Basic Stamps, not a PC to Stamp, unlike the Xbee guide. So I am leaning towards the Xbee at first glance.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2012-07-18 13:41
    You can get a USB adapter for an xBee, but you'd have to make your own for a 433MHz transceiver. It wouldn't be hard, but it would be easier to just buy a ready-to-go unit.
    edited 2012-07-18 15:12
    True, but even if I do make my own USB adapter, I don't exactly know how to send info out of my serial(USB) line to it. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard to learn, but with the XBee giving me a guide to go by, I see it as being easier to do it with it, than the other.
    edited 2012-07-18 15:17
    After reading what you said, and checking out the guide, I think I'll go with the XBee. It would be cheaper, I think it would roughly be 60 to 70 dollars compared to the 80 I would have to pay for the 433MHz, and with there being a guide, etc, etc. It seems like the choice for me. So Thanks for the help.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2012-07-18 17:46
    I know I'm late, but go with XBee. It's the best choice for many reasons cited above. If you're not happy we'll gladly refund the purchase.

And welcome to the forums, Wheelie016!

Ken Gracey